Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Misfiring when hot

Views : 3054

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:33   #1
Funman.60

Default Misfiring when hot

Hi and help!

2lt 10 valve V70 1998 148,000 miles

On a hot day the car starts in the morning no problem, but once hot starts to misfire on acceleration. having stopped goes very lumpy, but even worst when trying to reverse the car it will stall, and to start again will have to turn over for about 10 turns and then will be ok for awhile.

Took car to my local Volvo garage checked codes, nothing registered.

I had changed the plugs previousley to this, it seemed to improve it for awhile, but back to its old self.
I also added injection cleaner which seemed to help for awhile.

I feel it could be a fuel problem, but don't really know.

Any advise would be helpful, (redundancy means not a lot of money so can't just tell garage to fix it).
Funman.60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 15:14   #2
GavinC
GavinC

What a hassle!

Fuel... air... spark...

Are you absolutely sure correct spark plugs are fitted? For example, if they are not the correct temperature plugs for your engine specification they may not perform well and so 'break down' across the engine's temperature range.

Visually check that no air is getting in where it shouldn't. Such as a split in the induction tubing or a hole in a vacuum line... or a vacuum line that has detached. I also start the engine and listen for a hiss and/or a changed engine note while gently squeezing induction tubing and wriggling vacuum lines just a little. (NB.While carefully watching out for DANGEROUS belts, pulleys, high voltage sparks etc... ie. No fingers, hands, neckties in the way...)

Could be ignition wiring breaking down... but not very likely, though others are welcome to say different.

Wonder whether it is engine Coolant Temperature Sensor... but as far as I know they manifest cold start and cold running problems when they fail. But perhaps they can also fail t'other way?? (ANYONE COMMENT?)

When my car exhibited misfiring - and only when hot under load/acceleration, I found it was a failing coil pack - just one out of six. Having been told that failing coil packs are sometimes difficult to test for, I took a guess after running the checks above and bought one new coil pack. Doddle to fit. Fixed and fine thousands of miles later!

ANYONE MORE QUALIFIED/EXPERIENCED/KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN I AM AGREE/DISAGREE/ADD TO THIS so 'Funman' can have... more fun and less hassle?
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 16:49   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

What is the engine temperature gauge reading when the engine is hot?

If it's not at 3 o/clock then I'd suspect the Coolant Temperature Sensor.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 15:34   #4
Funman.60

Default V70 Misfire when hot

Chris/Gavin

New plugs from motor factors seemed to know what he was talking about, but willing to get new set from volvo and try.

Temp gauge reading 3 o,clock (perhaps little higher but not much).

Had to fit the large pipe from the air filter (the corrigated one) as old pipe was split, no difference, but bit dusty in there.

Can't hear any hissing noises.

Willing to try coil pack, any hints for fitting?

Would it be worth trying new leads, or perhaps better to trying one thing at a time.

Ta for help
Funman.60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 16:56   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

"Took car to my local Volvo garage checked codes, nothing registered."

What did they use? a generic OBDII code reader is no good for ths car.

You can make a DIY code reader like this:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46943
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 19:39   #6
KBB
Master Tech

Change rotor arm and distributor cap. They are not listed as service items and are often overlooked
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote