Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Celebration Estate ABS light

Views : 1061

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2009, 12:34   #11
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Yes, as above, you do not have the diagnostic boxes in the engine compartment. You will see the ABS unit in there but that has no means of diagnosis.

Build yourself one of those code readers (at some point) and connect to the OBDII port in the arm rest storage as described.
In the mean time a dealer or good independent will be able to read the codes for you (maybe for a charge!)..

I'm sure I must have a photo of the connection somewhere...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 13:45   #12
classicracing

You're all making the same mistakes the Volvo Master Techs used to. Stop and think what will have changed to cause this problem in such a short time. By all means read the codes if you have a reader but it will say ABS signal fault. Wow how helpful is that!!!!
I know I'm a synical old git but lets go back to basics and check a few simple things first before you start changing the ABS module.
The sensors on each wheel 'look' at a serrated wheel on the back of the hub. If all the signals are equal the system functions. If one is different the ABS malfunctions or the system warning light is put on.
A spider can make a nest or web on the sensor and the sensor can no longer 'see'
So first I would simply look at each sensor, check it is correctly located in its bracket ( as the air gap between sensor and wheel is critical) clean it of dust and debris and move to the next etc....
Then I would check the multi plugs connecting the system and pull them apart check for dirt and refit ( use elec contact spray to clean if you need to)
In 9 out of 10 cases the fault will be fixed without a lot of head scratching and component buying
The above simple approach uses logic and common sense, don't make the classic mistake of getting fooled by diagnostics
This approach works for most other problems too. Sit , think about what's changed and don't get too technical
Regards to All from an Old School Git
Richard
classicracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 15:37   #13
Profpriv
I've Been Banned

Hi Richard

Thanks for the common sense approach.As a heating engineer I use exactly that approach ,but didnt carry it across to the Volvo.

Ill try the wheel sensors first, then illl come back and ask for more help.

Ive found where the diagnostic box connects so thats a step fr later on.

Thanks

Shaun(profpriv)
Profpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 19:18   #14
Profpriv
I've Been Banned

Hi again Richard

Benn thinking about your post this week,and your advice to sit and think about whats changed.

Whats changed is that one day the ABS light wasnt on, and the next day it was.The bity is the simple bit.

The hard part is finding out why.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 22:49   #15
RealEstate
Master Member

Default RT Mechanics

If your still stuck, I suggest you take your car to RT Mechanics who are now in Haslemere (not a million miles from Burgess Hill), who advertise on this site. You will get A1 service at an affordable price. If you ask nicely, they may even give you guidance over the phone.
They've helped me several times over the phone, but then I am one of their customers!
All the best,
Ben

Last edited by RealEstate; Jul 10th, 2009 at 22:57.
RealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 17:34   #16
boxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profpriv View Post
Hi again Richard

Benn thinking about your post this week,and your advice to sit and think about whats changed.

Whats changed is that one day the ABS light wasnt on, and the next day it was.The bity is the simple bit.

The hard part is finding out why.
This is why you really need to find the codes and act on them - the "logical" approach is fine initially but you can waste so much time and effort trying to eliminate all possibilities and it ends up money well spent getting the info from where it is stored in the ECU..

Best of luck
John
boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 21:43   #17
Profpriv
I've Been Banned

Is there a way of testing the road wheel sensors??

Can I test for a resistance of some sort with a multimeter?