Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No fourth gear on Auto again!

Views : 3865

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 10:49   #41
rob1969in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAM View Post
hi, rob.

the relay (no. 352 3608) you've got there in your flickr photo seems to be the main relay for the fuel inj. system (6 pins marked 85, 87/2, 86/1, 30, 86/2, 87/1).

the overdrive relay (according to the wiring diagram i've got) has 5 pins marked; 15, 31, 85, 86, 87.

don't know if this is any help.

may be worth while checking the pin numbers on the relay i sent down as i can't find one here (in the pile) that has these pin numbers.

good luck, john.
Hello John.Many Thanks for that indeed, I have finally found the location of the Overdrive relay and I tried the one you sent me and it didnt give me the fourth gear so at least I now know its deffo the solenoid thats causing the problem, so going to take that off and get a friend to modify it later,I have left your relay in my car though ,so will buy it off you ,please let me know how much you want for it, as I would like to keep the relay as a spare,message me your price and address or paypal name and I will pay you or send a postal order ASAP..
Cheers,
Rob.
rob1969in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 22:54   #42
minesa240x3
loyalty

Wink

Hi rob glad you found the relay in the end.
Can I just say you wont need the relay working or not IF you modify the solenoid,The idea of cutting the groove from the centre feed hole to the outer oilway effectively does away with the solenoid the relay and the button on the shift lever.you WILL still have a four speed gearbox which will be working as normal,the only thing you will not be able to do is LOCKOUT fourth so it doesn't change from third,
And unless you are towing extremely heavy loads on a regulare basis you won't need it.I just accelerate before hills(when towing)and if it starts to struggle in fourth I push the throttle and it changes into third and will stay thier happily until I reach too high a speed to be towing anyway.
Hope this helps and reasures you Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 23:09   #43
rob1969in

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Hi rob glad you found the relay in the end.
Can I just say you wont need the relay working or not IF you modify the solenoid,The idea of cutting the groove from the centre feed hole to the outer oilway effectively does away with the solenoid the relay and the button on the shift lever.you WILL still have a four speed gearbox which will be working as normal,the only thing you will not be able to do is LOCKOUT fourth so it doesn't change from third,
And unless you are towing extremely heavy loads on a regulare basis you won't need it.I just accelerate before hills(when towing)and if it starts to struggle in fourth I push the throttle and it changes into third and will stay thier happily until I reach too high a speed to be towing anyway.
Hope this helps and reasures you Brian.
Hey thanks very much Brian, I have taken the solenoid off and it was all oily etc I gave it a good clean sprayed some lube around it,put some insulation tape round the wiring to it and lo and behold its changing it to 4TH it will probably stop working again but for now I am going to postpone modifying it but that is what I will do the next time I cant get 4TH but ya never know it may last,
I must thank everyone on this thread very much for all your help I have learnt more about the workings of a autobox and volvos in general in the last couple of weeks than I could ever had dreamed of, Glad I bought a Volvo it seems Volvo owners are a good bunch of folk!
The Following User Says Thank You to rob1969in For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 18:42   #44
rob1969in

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1969in View Post
Hey thanks very much Brian, I have taken the solenoid off and it was all oily etc I gave it a good clean sprayed some lube around it,put some insulation tape round the wiring to it and lo and behold its changing it to 4TH it will probably stop working again but for now I am going to postpone modifying it but that is what I will do the next time I cant get 4TH but ya never know it may last,
I must thank everyone on this thread very much for all your help I have learnt more about the workings of a autobox and volvos in general in the last couple of weeks than I could ever had dreamed of, Glad I bought a Volvo it seems Volvo owners are a good bunch of folk!
well.....that did not last long,I lost 4th gear again today,so modify the solenoid it is then...
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 00:14   #45
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi Rob sorry to hear that but hey at least you now know what to do!
I answered two threads yesterday on the 940 section,both had very similare problems to you,I pointed them to this thread for answers as they also use the AW70/71 gearbox(not all models)So now you can pass on your knowledge and help someone else out.By the way I think when you remove the solenoid(two bolts)the oil just keeps running out!! So be prepared to catch it,Mainly down your ARM Lol,
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 20:43   #46
rob1969in

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Hi Rob sorry to hear that but hey at least you now know what to do!
I answered two threads yesterday on the 940 section,both had very similare problems to you,I pointed them to this thread for answers as they also use the AW70/71 gearbox(not all models)So now you can pass on your knowledge and help someone else out.By the way I think when you remove the solenoid(two bolts)the oil just keeps running out!! So be prepared to catch it,Mainly down your ARM Lol,
Regards Brian.
Thanks dude I chickened out and got a Volvo owning mechanic to modify my solenoid for me ,he did it for £30 and took him about an hour I am well happy to have 4th gear back!

Now what`s going to go wrong next? Oh yeah my back brakes are squealing big time, I mean the sound is so loud people are putting their hands over their ears!! so I sort of never fully depress my foot on the brake,instead just pump em!
I have bought new discs and pads and will fit them sometime,as it sounds like a warped disc, OR DOES IT? anyone have any other explanation for the noise etc?

Cheers,
Rob.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 13:47   #47
Solaris

Anti-squeal shims required.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Solaris For This Useful Post: