Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T4 with ETM problems

Views : 2167

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 08:59   #1
eyewhy

Default V40 T4 with ETM problems

My V40 T4 suffers from a number of the symptoms described as the ETM faults on other Volvo models. The most concerning is that the car has stalled three times when changing gear at around 50mph! Whilst this is not a particularly regular occurance, it is somewhat dangerous to say the least. The most regular problem is that the engine idle drops to around 350-400rpm and then jumps back upto it's normal idle speed over and over again. It only happens when you pull up at a junction or traffic lights. The only way to stop it doing this is to turn the engine off and restart it. (ECU issue??). The O2 sensor was replaced last september so i don't think this has anything to do with it.
Has anybody else had this problem and knows of a solution. Or does anybody know if V40s can be effected by the ETM issues that Volvo are currently dealing with?
eyewhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 09:40   #2
eyewhy

I've just managed to get through to Volvo customer car. They have confirmed that the V40 engine is not affected by the ETM problem. With that in mind, does anybody have any experience of the problems my car is suffering from.
I'm going to book it into Rybrook Volvo in Liverpool for it's 84k service in the next few days and would like to get this issue sorted at the same time. Afterall, as they say, 'knowledge is power'
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 19:20   #3
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Hi,

Sorry to hear of the problems you're experiencing. The S/V40s are excluded from the ETM issue because they have a mechanical throttle (thank God!). Is your car a Phase 1 or 2?

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 21:22   #4
eyewhy

it's a phase 2 2002 model. I reckon the cause of the problem could be because the throttle module is full of muck and carbon. It's having it's 84k service on monday. They said they'd clean it out as part of the service. Hopefully that will sort the problem (for now!).
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 17:54   #5
Rooster
Speed freak

They don't have ETM's but they do have idle control valves that can sometimes get chocked up,

Only model s/v40 that has an ETM is a 2001on 1.8 GDi
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 18:34   #6
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

As Rooster says, the idle control valve would be my first port of call, with some carb cleaner (don't forget to spray some lubricant in after cleaning it) and following that, remove the throttle housing (takes about 20mins) and give that a really good clean with the same cleaner; take care not to accidentally move the throttle butterfly stop or else your idle speed is like to change too.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998

Last edited by pyaap; Feb 16th, 2006 at 20:48.
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 20:44   #7
eyewhy

Cheers guys, I'll have a go at doing that.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 23:29   #8
hhhugues

i have a similar problem. the idle was generally too low and jumpy for a while but the car has now started to stall a lot as the idling seems togo ever lower, either when starting the car or breaking to a halt, or even a couple times changing gear at low speed.

could someone attempt explaining me where i can find the throttle housing ? still haven't managed to get hold of a cheap copy of the haynes manual yet. a picture would be even better !

also, am i right in thinking bad idling could be one of the symptoms of a blown head gasket ? i'm asking because i've noticed some oil leaking from the bottom of my engine tonight. i'm pretty sure it never did before. could it be because i topped up too much oil yesterday ? i'm pretty worried about that. where else could the leak come from ? the gear box ?

any suggestions welcome !
hhhugues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 12:40   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

Start with cleaning the idle air control valve. See this GUIDE by Manoman.

If you look closely at the first and second picture you'll see the ICV located on the throttle housing. If you remove the large rubber pipe you will gain access to the butterfly valve which you can then clean with carb cleaner and an old tooth brush.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote