Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The airfilter debate

Views : 973

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:03   #1
a15htn

Gents,

I think its time to talk cone filters....

My car is an 855R Auto and had a bleed valve and a K&N cone...... and went quite nicely thankyou very much (0 - 60 at 6.7 / 7) }>

Following several discussions about heat and airflow (bearing in mind I spend a lot of time in traffic) I reckoned that I'm causing myself problems as their is no 'ram air' effect until your really shifting and it seems that the aux fan is coming on earlier than it used to.

So yesterday I bit the bullet and put the standard air box back in (with the Volvo element !) WOW ! I'm now consistently pulling 6.5 / 6.7s which sounds like nothing but really feels like a serious difference }> Unfortnatley the front wheels break away even more than they ever used too x( now !!

The only downside to this is that the car now has a slight lag when accelerating from 2k rpm - which could be down to the autobox eating power.....

So in short a cone filter gives the following:
Initial throttle response is faster.
The power does not come in as hard.

Std airbox gives:
Slower throttle response.
The power comes in slightly later but a hell of a lot harder.
No room under the bonnet whatsoever !!

So , you pays your money and takes you choice ;)

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:10   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: The airfilter debate

I believe what you have experianced is exactly right.

I prefer the throttle response I have, and a stock (cool) airbox.

Mind you my throttle response is fine and you learn to live with how the car behaves and drive it accordingly.

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2002, 13:15   #3
gareth

Jim,

theres a new induction kit called a "viper" I cant remeber who makes em but I've heard nothing but good stuff.

It has a 3or4 inch intake surrounded by a carbon fibre heat sheild.

Not cheap but you can position them either up the engine bay for the winter or down nearer to ground in the summer...

G
Old Jun 20th, 2002, 15:49   #4
a15htn

Tooo much money for probably too little gain I reckon...

With cars like these you eventually hit the point of dimminishing returns :)

Although its tempting to completley re-locate the intake to behind the bumper cover (next to a fog lamp !) }>

Maybe one day.......
Jim,
Old Jun 20th, 2002, 16:07   #5
Squirty

I think I'll stick to a genuine part from Euro Car Parts (at least for now anyway!)

Thanks for the advice/comments in earlier responses to the 'Performance Air Filter' question before.

Adam

'94 850 T5
Old Jun 20th, 2002, 16:38   #6
Craig_V40

Adam, if it comes with a strip of foam stuck to the pleated paper, it's worth peeling the foam off, otherwise it really strangles the intake ...

Cheers, Craig
Old Jun 21st, 2002, 00:30   #7
a15htn

Adam,
In case you're worried, this shouldn't do any harm, as the Volvo OE filter doesn't have foam..... just paper :¬)

Jim,
Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:11   #8
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: The airfilter debate

Just to weigh into this thread - my ITG panel filter fits into the standard box (eventually) and did provide (apparently) better response.

This could of course be the result of fitting a new filter instead of an old one, psychological factors, crop circles.....etc., etc.

A tip for all panel filter users as summer and winter flood season approaches, if you're driving into deep water, unclip the top of the air box so the engine breathes through the top, not the pipe running down to the tarmac.

That way you'll avoid an engine full of water.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:23   #9
a15htn

That'd be bloody deep water Simon...... the inlet is just below the bonnet rail (level with the top of the headlamps !)

Jim,