Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 Bonnet

Views : 724

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:27   #1
Ice Man

Hi All,

After cleaning my car this weekend for the first time, I noticed that there are many stone chips on the bonnet of the car, not just around the grill but also in the middle.

Is there any easy options for me or do I have to get it re-sprayed?

If re-sprayed then I guess matching the colour might be difficult???

Help
IceMan
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:30   #2
philip.hurst

Default RE: T5 Bonnet

Colour matching is much less of a problem than it used to be. I had a new rear bumper fitted after a shunt. No difference in colour is visible. Mine is silver.

There a loads of places that will come to you and do minor body repairs and paint jobs. Apparently, they do a fair job. Personally, I'd go for the re-spray.

Philip H. C70 T5 GT
philip.hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:21   #3
ChrisWT5

Iceman, I hope that you mean that it was the first time you noticed stonechips and not the first time you've cleaned your car:)

Mine is the same and I got the paint touch-up pen from Volvo. Seems simple but you have to be extremely careful and patient. The paint is very thick and probably acrylic opposed to the original cellulose(?)When you try to blend you are working with 2 different hardnesses which is a nightmare on such a small area. I'm not happy with my results and will end up having respray. The edge is not the problem but the upper bonnet. You think it looks fine until you stand back.

In my opinion Volvo's have a great paint finish, smaller/curved areas like bumpers are not such a problem but on a flat expanse such as the bonnet, any respray needs to have the same texture esp. non-metallics as you generally get less orange-peel when lacquering.

Mine's Midnight Blue (604) and the above really applies to darker colours. Silver or white would be no problem.

Chris
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:30   #4
Ice Man

So How much do think it would cost to respray the whole bonnet ??
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:52   #5
ChrisWT5

I haven't enquired as its not a priority but I'd be interested to know what quotes you get. Colour/met/non-met? This is a big factor. I'll call them now...

Ok - Volvo dealer Squire Furneaux telephone estimate - £132 paint, approx 10hrs lab £275, new clips etc for jets/fixings etc £20 all +VAT = c£500

They would blend top of wings as well. Potentially if done on the cheap, paint will sink into scratches/chips as well as colour fade over time.

He did suggest a tip for touch-up pens - put the pen in tepid water before use - it shakes/mixes better for better colour tone, easier to work with and gives a smoother finish. Now they tell me:)
Old Jan 16th, 2003, 18:22   #6
markas
VOC Member

Hi all,

Iceman i had my bonnet done a while back as someone keyed mine and it worked out cheaper than having one of these come-hair-brush the scratch ways companies. I went for a quota at a local body shop and the dealer. Went to the dealer in the end nervous about the colour match due to i show my car. Can't honestly remember now but i am sure i didn't pay nearly 500 notes.

I now have a pot of colour paint that match the hole car due to the bleaching of the sun. Mine was Onyx green once but has fadded, compared to the touch-up pot i still have.

If you are stil worried invest in an American nose bag like i have. Made of leather it cover the snout and 1/4 of the bonnet. All you have to get used to are the two aerodynamic Toberones at the top of the cover to stop the leather flapping :-)

Mark
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 01:35   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

Hey guys

ther is anothere way

get in touch with some smart repairers

i do smart repairs and the finish is good
worth a try tis far cheaper!!

failing that get an artist fine paint brush an use that