Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine starter wires

Views : 631

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 13:34   #1
tony19

Default Engine starter wires

Hi.

I bought engine starter button for my car ( c70 2001, 2.0 Lpt) but i`m finding hard to connect it as i cant find the to wires that start the engine wich are at ignition barrel.
Any idea wich one it is, or where can i find it easier.
Any help much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U6Ci9A596108-02.jpg (25.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by tony19; Sep 19th, 2009 at 13:59.
tony19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 14:06   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

the one numbered 50 activates the starter solenoid ..
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 15:17   #3
MKC70

Yellow/white stripe was for the starter wire on my coupe, test it first before you start any wiring. Doing something similar to this?
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index..._fromsearch__1
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 11:27   #4
tony19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKC70 View Post
Yellow/white stripe was for the starter wire on my coupe, test it first before you start any wiring. Doing something similar to this?
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index..._fromsearch__1
Yes. i got a start button.
I was trying so hard yesterday i dissconnected a block of cabbles and now my srs light stays on.

I will try with the white/yelloy but i will need two wires, positive and negative to the starter motor (i guess) .
on the instruction it says connect it with the two thick wires but they all same size...
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 13:19   #5
MKC70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony19 View Post
I was trying so hard yesterday i dissconnected a block of cabbles and now my srs light stays on.

I will try with the white/yelloy but i will need two wires, positive and negative to the starter motor (i guess) .
on the instruction it says connect it with the two thick wires but they all same size...
Perhaps it would be best to pay a shop to wire it up, good luck.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 13:33   #6
RSF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony19 View Post

Get 2 thicker wires that can carry more voltage.
Be care full as you could end up with all sorts of problems ABS light,indicator lights and what not.
I dis agree with the post above as a shop would rob you blind.
Fingers crossed some one will help who knows or has done this.
try posting a post with some thing like (has any one fitted a electric starter kit) and I'm sure youl grab some one who has done it who can help.
Good luck

T5 WANTED,CHEAP PROJECT WITH MOT
RSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 16:45   #7
MKC70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSF View Post
Get 2 thicker wires that can carry more voltage.
Be care full as you could end up with all sorts of problems ABS light,indicator lights and what not.
I dis agree with the post above as a shop would rob you blind.
Fingers crossed some one will help who knows or has done this.
try posting a post with some thing like (has any one fitted a electric starter kit) and I'm sure youl grab some one who has done it who can help.
Good luck
Ok to disagree, but I thought my response was a polite way to have someone do the work so no other problem issues arise. Add on push button starts should simply be a button plus a relay to make it work. Whether it is integrated into the button or separate is not a concern. Starter wire I listed is positive, so the relay must be setup for a positive, which it needs from a high current source not available at the key cylinder wires. The red constant is the highest current available and IIRC only has a limit of 15 or 20 amps. Typical relays in systems are probably around 30amps, so this should be done at a fuse junction box or easier yet from the battery. If he/she chooses to use those small wires then something is going to melt.

Without the installation instructions posted for the specific system it is just guess work on how they need to do the wiring. Most likely would be to setup the coil of the relay to ground(85 on relay, will get this from the button, just connect the other wire to chassis ground), other side to 12volts(86 to ignition wire, green/yellow so the button is only active with the key energized. 87 on relay to high current source(battery positive) and 30 to the starter wire(yellow/white). Hooking up wiring without testing first is not advised. Most people would say a pushbutton start is kind of a waste if you still need the key, but hey to each their own.

Last edited by MKC70; Sep 20th, 2009 at 17:02.
MKC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 22:35   #8
tony19

Hi MKC70.

This is the kit that i got. it has a relay and that paper on the pic is the instruction on how to install it.
As it is universal it just says to connect two wires to power (cigarette lighter wires) and two the other two wires with the two thick wires coming from the ignition barrel..
I will give it a try tomorrow to from the instuctions you wrote , hoppefully it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20092009210.jpg (89.0 KB, 5 views)