Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

hello from a new user - 850/V70 wanted

Views : 730

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 22:52   #1
michael1000

Question hello from a new user - 850/V70 wanted

Hi

I have joined this forum to help gather further information about common faults/things to look out for on the 850/old V70 models. I understand they are pretty robust but do suffer from ECU problems (like most newer cars). I have also heard of an electrical fault that cut out the accelerator i.e. they had no power at all whilst on the motorway.

Is the V70 model that replaced the 850 much more electronically complex? as I would prefer to go for the simpler car with more reliable electronics. I am also considering the 940/960 which are older and I have heard a lot simpler. But I would really like the extra space in the 850/V70. I am looking for a manual estate, preferably 2 litre if anyone is looking to reduce their collection! PS I hope Im putting this in the correct thread.

many thanks
michael
michael1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 23:37   #2
bb54
diy bhp

hi there and welcome.
ecu probs... no.

850/70 complex electronically... yes.

70 more complex, no not really.

ecu's do everything on these motors.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:59   #3
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Exclamation

Hi and welcome. You have probably heard of the late version of the V70 which suffere from throttle body problems. The earlier pre 2001 models do not suffer from this. The 2.0L is a bit under powered by most peoples reckoning and a bit sluggish to drive. You'd be better off with a 2.5L

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 13:52   #4
AlanH

Hello from another new member!

I'm also looking for an 850 but a T5 Estate (or possibly a clean 2.5 20v). I put a post in the wanted section if anyone's got one for sale. It may be worth bunging a post in there too Michael.

Good luck with the search.

Cheers,

Alan
AlanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 02:46   #5
emily240DL

I am a fellow newbie in your same situation. I was told by a very reliable mechanic that it was best to stick to the base '98 v70 models because of the changes they made for the '99 that will eventually add excessively to your maintenance cost. Consumer Guide said those changes were as follows:

New electronic brake modulation helped optimize performance in normal stops. Volvo's traction-control system now included throttle as well as brake intervention. A starter interlock was added to models with manual shift, automatic transmissions gained "adaptive" shift logic, and an engine immobilizer became standard.

I am willing to give up whatever advantage all that may give me (although the mechanic said it isn't all it's cracked up to be, anyway) to keep maintenance cost low. That's why I'm also avoiding the turbo, even if it would be nice when accelerating on the freeway (motorway? I'm still trying to learn the Euro lingo here.) He also said to avoid the XC, although I didn't have time to ask him why. Maybe somebody on here would have input on that. Anyway, my '89 240 keeps my bank account plenty busy -- no need to tax it unnecessarily!

Best of luck!!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 19:35   #6
mike smithy

Default 850 2.5 glt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
Hello from another new member!

I'm also looking for an 850 but a T5 Estate (or possibly a clean 2.5 20v). I put a post in the wanted section if anyone's got one for sale. It may be worth bunging a post in there too Michael.

Good luck with the search.

Cheers,

Alan
Hi, i have a mint 2.5 20v glt saloon for sale if you are interested, only done 65,000 with full history, 1996 model with all extras.

Thanks Mike.
mike smithy is offline   Reply With Quote