Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wiper baldes

Views : 561

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2009, 10:31   #1
fmac

Default wiper baldes

Folks, very new to this forum.

I have a 1997 850 (german build) LHD. Recently the front windscreen wipers only manage to clear water away from ca. 60% of the drivers viewing area (despite several sets of blades etc). It seems as if there is no pressure onto the screen, despite the fact the blades still move fully across the screen.

At the same time the rear wiper is doing the same on the top 30% of the areas to be cleaned.

Any suggestions would be helpful, as it's becoming a nuisance, esepcially on the motorway in winter,

thanks!
fmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 11:17   #2
BIGH66
VOC Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmac View Post
Folks, very new to this forum.

I have a 1997 850 (german build) LHD. Recently the front windscreen wipers only manage to clear water away from ca. 60% of the drivers viewing area (despite several sets of blades etc). It seems as if there is no pressure onto the screen, despite the fact the blades still move fully across the screen.

At the same time the rear wiper is doing the same on the top 30% of the areas to be cleaned.

Any suggestions would be helpful, as it's becoming a nuisance, esepcially on the motorway in winter,

thanks!
Have you tried bending the wiper arm to put more pressure on the blade to contact the screen more ??
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 12:02   #3
fmac

Default sure!

Yes I've been down that route, no good either
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 12:23   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

It sounds like the springs in the wiper arms are getting weak. I don't think they're a stock item so getting new springs will probably be difficult.

One possible fix is to use the aerofoil type wiper blades - they use airflow to push the wiper blade onto the screen, but I'd imagine it only works well over 40mph (?) so you'd still have a problem with urban driving.

Replacement wiper arms are available, but they are surprisingly expensive - I checked them a few years ago and IIRC they were £30 or so each even then!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 14:47   #5
David 850 GLT

Try this, it worked permanently on mine
http://volvospeed.com/wiperarm.php
David 850 GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2009, 17:27   #6
fmac

Default thanks

will try and let you know if it helped