Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

oil change?

Views : 939

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 22:29   #1
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

Default oil change?

Needing to do an oil change on the 144, but given that it will be getting laid up for the winter, but with occasional starts/runs to keep it moving, should I change the oil before the winter or after??

Thanks

Ross.
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:21   #2
B20F
Master Member

The best to do is to put new oil in before winter. The used oil contains harmful chemicals like acids. These are produced during combustion and which can cause the innards of the engine to rust. Fresh oil protects the engine much better. What I always do before winter lay up is go for a drive for at least 30 min. to get the oil hot so all the water is boiled out of the oil, put it in storage,drain the hot oil, replace the oil filter, put new oil in and cranck the engine to get oil pressure.Don't start it, to avoid oil contamination from combustion. So before crancking disconnect the lead from the coil to the dizzy. This way the fresh oil is nicely distributed inside the engine and can do it's protective work during lay up.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 14:09   #3
marcmarel

Better skip on the occasional runs to keep things moving, I've taken engine apart which stood for years and still had oil everywhere.
For the oil to reach operating temp in winter takes like half an hour, then to blow out all the water from the first half hour takes an hour again.
marcmarel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcmarel For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 10:55   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If you are going to that what I would suggest doing is blocking the fuel pipe off to the carb and run the engine untill the carb is empty. Then do the oil change. That way when the crank the engine ovet to build oil pressure the petrol will not be contaminating the new oil.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 10:22   #5
skidje
Master Member

Default classicswede has a full mailbox. no pm's possible.

Hi, Tried to send Classicswede a PM but due to reaching his limits this is not possible. Anyone any hints hwo to reach him? Sorry for using this topic for this message. Regards,
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote