Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2 Problems, fuel leak? And dash lights...

Views : 2053

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2009, 23:14   #11
yragyrag90

By the way, today we fiited the battery that we knew to be working. When it died tonight the warning lights didn't come on like they did the first time it happened... Does this help with anything?
When we first put the battery on and ran it for a bit the warning lights did come on, my dad said he thought it may just be until the new brushes bed in...
I'm so annoyed by this, driving the car this evening before it died was making me so happy.
On another note, I drove the hell out of it to get home, I knew it was a pretty fast car (relatively anyway) But I think it wanted to get home too, didnt want to have another break down disaster.

And how do you mean bad earths... Again I'm retarded when it comes to this kind of thing.
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 23:41   #12
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Where the battery/engine/alternator etc is connected to the metal of the bodywork.

They can go rusty and get muck behind them causing a bad connection etc...

Ones to check (off the top of my head)

-The negative battery terminal
-The one that connects onto the inner wing in the engine bay (coming from the battery)
-The strap between the cam cover and the bulkhead (also check the cable isnt corroded or damaged)
-The connections onto the engine that also comes directly from the negative on the battery
-I assume there will be one off the alternator - not sure where it goes to though

Best bet is just just clean each one up to shiny metal one by one. That aliminates another (free to mend) problem...
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve and his 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 23:55   #13
redboy
Master Member

If your alternator has a seperate voltage regulator, that could be the problem. If the brush pack has a little round thing on it, its an internal regulator. But if it has a connector with wires coming out that goes to a seperate regulator.

Alternately, it could be a break in the wiring harness or connector- it runs under the cambelt cover, and around the engine, up the side the car and over the engine. The two spots they usually go is under the engine or the connector on the bulkhead. I know Volvo had a problem with bad quality wiring in the early '80s- especially in the US due to higher temperatures.

Cheers,
Brian
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 23:56   #14
redboy
Master Member

I forgot to add- you can convert a seperate voltage regulator to an internal one- they sell them on ebay: 'bosch voltage regulator' for about 7 quid. Obviously this is only for Bosch alternators, not SEV Marchal design.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, fuel, leak, lights, warning