Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to Volvos and a few S80 T6 questions if I may.

Views : 659

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 23:28   #1
Zanx

Default New to Volvos and a few S80 T6 questions if I may.

Firstly, hello
Secondly, I've looked through the S80 FAQ and couldn't find an answer, so I hope maybe someone here could spare the time to make my S80 ownership a happy one.

Now the questions...

1) Is there a fix for an ill fitting airbox lid? I'm thinking of just closing the gap with silicon to make sure the pressures and flows in the box are correct and to make sure no dirty air gets in.

2) How many fault codes can a dodgy ABS module throw up? So far in 200 miles I've had the "Service Traction Contol", "Total Brake Failure", "Emissions Service Needed", "Service Needed", as well as a veritable Xmas tree of triangles and engine management lights over on the right of the dash in addition to the odometer not working for as long as the "Brake failure" code is up.

3) I take it a sluggish electric window is just a case of lubing the runners and not down to the window winding up and down ECU?

Other than feeling intimidated by the amount of computers on the car and the natty built in CD disposal unit, it's a nice drive and goes like total stink when floored, really, it's incredible.

It's a 2000 Reg, only cost £1600 so as long as it drives, I'll keep it, if it goes boom then no big deal.

Thank you. Z.
Zanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 00:13   #2
jajrst
Volvo S80 SE Owner

Hey and welcome to the forums and ownership

1) The airbox would have to be replaced unless you can find a lid on Ebay. If someone hasn't sawed off the middle clip as they did on mine, you should be able to close it properly using a screwdriver on the outside of the case and pushing in. Have a search on here for complete instructions and pictures, its a common problem.

2) It sounds like exactly what I had a few months ago. ABS and STC light on, brake failure warning or abs service urgent or STC service urgent or a combination of all of them. Luckily its a cheap fix, as its most likely loose soldering joints. Send your module to this guy, this is where I had mine repaired and was very happy: http://www.yell.com/b/Volvotech+@+No...416/index.html

3) sounds like it needs lubing as you said, my drivers one is sticking lately ever since the cold snap. When the snow starts to melt it works ok, I guess the water is lubing it lol.

Hope this helps,

Josh
jajrst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jajrst For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 07:46   #3
Nordboy

Found your way from TRC then. Welcome.
Nordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nordboy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:58   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

regarding the window , the problem is the felt has worn off the rubber guide strip . lubricating is all well and good short term but glass on dry rubber is friction and it will strain the mecanism and bend it . an expensive and tricky job to replace . best just get a new guide strip which fits around the apature ..

T6 goes well ? you should try a T5 :-)
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 10:48   #5
Zanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
regarding the window , the problem is the felt has worn off the rubber guide strip . lubricating is all well and good short term but glass on dry rubber is friction and it will strain the mecanism and bend it . an expensive and tricky job to replace . best just get a new guide strip which fits around the apature ..

T6 goes well ? you should try a T5 :-)

It's not stiff all the way down, it just twists a bit, then if given a helping hand, will go all the way down and all the way up again no problem.

Josh, thanks for that, the middle tag is still there, I'll have a play today and get it to fit.

Found the thread. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=airbox&page=2

Hello Nord

Last edited by Zanx; Jan 12th, 2010 at 10:57.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:51   #6
Zanx

Just found another way to fix the airbox lid. Good news is that the plastic the lid is made from has a memory, i.e. when heated it will naturally regain the shape it was moulded in. 10 minutes with a hot air gun (heating the entire lid) and it's back to a perfect square with no bowing at the back. Mine was too bad to try the screwdriver trick with, the main box would have just popped back out again.

Happy days.