Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 AWD performance in the snow.

Views : 15299

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 22:01   #11
Bobr

Default XC60 AWD performance in the Snow

I took delivery of an XC60 D5 last weekend having been a previous XC70 owner. My wife also runs an XC90. Whilst the XC60 is a lovely vehicle, I have noticed a marked difference in its performance in the snow and ice compared to the XC70 and XC90. I have driven all three models in the current cold spell.

One theory I have is tyre fitments. Both my previous XC70 and current XC90 are fitted with Pirelli Scorpions - proper 4x4 tyres and looking in my local main dealers showroom (Mill) I noted that this is still the standard fit on these vehicles. However, the XC60 comes with Pirelli P Zeros which in my youth were the type of tyres fitted on GTI's not 4x4's. Does this say something about Volvo's profile of a typical XC60 owner?

I have contacted Volvo about why the standard tyre fit on the XC60 is different and am awaiting a reply. I am tempted to change the tyres - but only if Volvo are paying!
Bobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:28   #12
mu71rd

i haven't ordered my car yet (but probably will). Whilst i don't think it is likely to be snowing by the time my car arrives, I do think some slightly better tyres for offroad would benefit me.

i will use the car on beaches and muddy slopes for boating - so it's all about the tyres there. Can anyone recommend some tyres that would be good for a compromise of uses.

All Terrain tyres are pretty handy, but they might savage handling and performance a bit too much i think.

Also - do you think that is something that Volvowould change for me at point of order, at little cost?
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 22:46   #13
Trident

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu71rd View Post
i haven't ordered my car yet (but probably will). Whilst i don't think it is likely to be snowing by the time my car arrives, I do think some slightly better tyres for offroad would benefit me.

i will use the car on beaches and muddy slopes for boating - so it's all about the tyres there. Can anyone recommend some tyres that would be good for a compromise of uses.

All Terrain tyres are pretty handy, but they might savage handling and performance a bit too much i think.

Also - do you think that is something that Volvowould change for me at point of order, at little cost?
I just replaced my Pirelli P Zero Rossos with Michellin Diamaris - they are expensive at £170 each but I have had no problems in the snow at all. I have been up and down icy hills that all other have given up on. They are a compromise tyre that will be good all year but I have been pleasantly surprised by their snow/ice performance and they are nice and quiet on the motorways.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 01:09   #14
GSMGuy
Master Member

I have Yokohama Geolander GO51's on my XC90, and they have been superb in the recent weather - Allowing me to cover my normal 1000+ miles per week, and still letting me pull a couple of my settle car drivers out of ditches and potholes in the snow & ice!

Previous std Conti's were expensive, slippery and very high wearing.

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 08:49   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu71rd View Post
Also - do you think that is something that Volvo would change for me at point of order, at little cost?
I think that will be a bit of a challenge - like other companies Volvo buy and sell in volume and will have 'done a deal' with Pirelli or Conti (18" and AWD seem to be Pirelli, 17" and FWD seem to be Conti).

The dealer may change the tyres for you, but then how would he get rid of the old tyres?

I fear you may end up like me - wanting the tyres to wear out so that you can justify changing them for all weather, but trying to make them last as long as possible as you don't want to spend the £650 it will cost to change all corners!
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote