Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tuned T4 testing

Views : 718

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 22:31   #1
v6en
Master Member

Default Tuned T4 testing

Vs Honda S2000 (240BHP)

Hi all,

I got my boost controller fitted on Tuesday past and got the car set up to run at 1.1 BAR, having checked that the fuel/air mix was good. It poured torrentially for 2 days thereafter so i never got to play at all, so when i finally got a dry evening i thought that all my birthdays and christmases had come at once when i stopped at the traffic lights on my favourite bit of straight private road on the way home from work. As i sat there in my slightly dirty T4 in the slow lane an extremely shiny silver honda s2000 came to a rest beside me. i never really look across at people and today was no exception. to my amusement he began to inch the car slowly forward whilst rev rev revving the engine. Looking ahead approx 200 metres was the next set of traffic lights, also at red. if i continued in the slow lane i would come to rest behind two other cars, but if i managed to get away from the honda, which would never happen, then i could get in front of it and into the fast lane for a good blat with it before the road merged further on.

The lights changed and i got a nose ahead of it as we took off, and then to my delight the volvo totally annihilated it ( with the traction control light jammed on) and took the outside lane with a good distance to spare. in the rear view mirror i could now see that a 45 year old medallion man with a faltering ego was the driver of the s2000. None the less he sat right up my car's bumper and gunned the engine some more, as the volvo sat quietly like a lamb to the slaughter. Not. when the lights changed this time the volvo again was off like a whippet and pulled away from the honda in every gear by an amount that i couldn't believe. i had been worried initially that although the car was spooling up the turbo faster that top end it may have been dying off a bit, but that run proved that it wasn't the case at all. not bad for 42 great british pounds!

Having had a shot from 3rd gear upwards at an s2000 before i can really see the difference in my car since the MBC...yey.

NB, as i was telling ross this story i couldn't help wondering why the guy wanted to race a dusty volvo in the first place. ross pointed out that he was probably just trying to impress the lady in her volvo with his shiny Freudian extension, and then it all went wrong :)

For reference the Honda's stats would be:

240 BHP @ 7800rpm, 162 lb/ft (220 Nm) at 6500rpm
0-60 in 5.6 secs
0-100 in 14.3 secs
30-70 through gears 5.2

jacqueline.
v6en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 00:01   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Tuned T4 testing

There is your answer Jacqi. All of his power is so far up the rev range that he has very little from halfway through to almost peak revs and his torque figures ar also far too high up the rev range. I reckon my diesel would give him a good run for his money and a lot quieter than him as well.

Well done anyway on your delightful bit of stealth motoring. Keep up the good work.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 00:17   #3
tonyflynn1

A lovely, polite and technical answer Peter - but I enjoyed Ross's theory more :o
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 18:19   #4
v6en
Master Member

Nice try Peter, but i have beaten one of these top end as well so i'm happy with the victory being genuine. Ross also mentioned that if the guy was caught off guard the first time we took of from a standstill, he certainly wasn't the second time ;)

jacq.
v6en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 09:20   #5
burchi

Hi Jacq

Top effort!!! There's just some cars/drivers that need showing!

Fantastic that the T4 is doing "the business" out there on those "private roads"!

What's next in the power increasing quest?

Let us know how you get on with your further competition killing!

Good luck

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 20:15   #6
Ross9
Master Member

Hi Ian, Jacq here how you doing?

Got the car rolling roaded today at A.V.A in Glasgow. Sadly they don't do torque or flywheel figures, but are considered to be one of the most accurate dynoes in Scotland for their at-the-wheels-figures. The T4 made 205 @ the wheels, and the intake temps were ok, around (38-47 degrees) which was great, it felt so much quicker with the boost controller! however, according to the in car boost guage it was running 1.1BAR, but A.V.A read it at mostly 1.2 and it peaked at 1.3BAR, which was certainly a brown trousers moment for me. Thankfully the ecu was retarding the timing whenever it sensed detonation. Needless to say we came home and turned the boost down a couple of turns :s so it now reads about 1 BAR and i'm driving it like a little old lady, although in theory running it at a few less psi should mean that it's making similar power as there will now be no more detonation.

the things which A.V.A said i should definitely get next were
1. an exhaust
2. an exhaust
3. an exhaust

lol. They said that the high pitched whooshing noise from it was the sound of the engine being strangled as the air couldn't get out of the engine quick enough due to the rather large cat. When i get an exhaust which facilitates better air flow they reckon i should be able to achieve the same power but without the hair raising boost pressures. so my next project is a lot of agency work to save up for it. After that i think a remap is next on the cards to ensure that i can get the most out of it without risking detonation again in the future.

what have you been up to since uxbridge? any more crooked billet meets?

jacq.