Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BMC CDA users

Views : 752

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 21:38   #1
Andy
Master Member

Default BMC CDA users

Evening all!

Anyone out there using a BMC CDA?

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 21:51   #2
don kalmar union
Trader

Default RE: BMC CDA users

Coincidence!

I have been pondering fitting one to my S60 T5 that I race in the Britcar long distance series....particularly as a recent testing accident has damaged the standard airbox amongst a few other things.

Only a few weeks ago however we had the car on Power Engineering's rolling road, and with a little time to spare, we removed the standard air box and inlet tract and messed about with a few aftermarket offerings and no filter at all.

Surprisingly, there was virtually no change in anything....concluding that Volvo have made an excellant job of their stock design and that it was best to just fit an aftermarket panel filter of choise.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

TME engineered software UK distributor.
don kalmar union is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 22:16   #3
Andy
Master Member

Thanks Don. I've heard similar thoughts before from other people ;)

That was on the dyno with a fan, yes? On the road wouldn't it be a different story with better 'real' cooling?
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 22:54   #4
don kalmar union
Trader

Andy,

Certainly PE do not have huge fans, for example on the scale of Owen Developements. But, for the very short runs we had made on a cold day with their two fans, I doubt that it would have effected things much.

However, whether with big fans or on the road, I think that to get the air in through a closed system like Volvo's standard or one of these CDA's fed through the same closed route will be, by far, better than an open cone filter in the engine compartment.

What I do like about these BMC things is the way you get a proper individual fixing to the maf, not some cobbled up bit of piping.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 21:34   #5
elliot

I have made myself a new inlet pipe with 2.5inch samco, and 2.5 inch ally tube and noticed a marked improvement in spool up,the motor is far from standard but an improvement was made.It made a much bigger difference than the pannel filter which made no disernable difference to me.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 22:35   #6
don kalmar union
Trader

Interesting point there Elliot.

The last 90 degree turn into the turbo has been designed and maintained to date by Volvo as a restriction to the airflow. If you look closely you will see that there is quite a throat there. If you replace it by a combination of 'samco' bend and ally pipe with the breather solenoid and sensors araldited in you will make an appreciable gain. I have been looking into making up a kit to sell for this very purpose.

Whilst in that area you can do away with the standard crankcase breather system if you take the standard catch tank off and circulate the crankcase and head breathing through an aftermarket catch tank/separator with return to the sump. This is really a great improvement if you are into giving the engine prolonged stick causing some extra crankcase compression. I can send you pictures of that setup on both my S70 and S60 if you are interested.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 23:11   #7
elliot

i have done away with the breather back into the intake,blocked the vac feed that helps the crank case gasses out under vac, but causes a boost loop under boost,i blocked it at the inlet manifold by the power steering pump ,and as far as i am aware all the sensor does that sits in the inlet tract is heat the crankcase cases to stop the oil condensing,so i removed that to.So i just have 2 90 degree bends and a bit of 2.5 inch ally tube.I would say it is worth doing,i will try and come to the next meet,i want to show off my new rims to lol they only weigh 6kgs hehe
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 23:32   #8
don kalmar union
Trader

I have been told that the oil mist that gets into the turbo in fact does it no good at all. I would however be carefull if, as I understand, you have blocked off the breathing. It can cause the engine to blow out a fair bit from the dip stick pipe.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 23:37   #9
elliot

its ok i have'nt blocked my breather system lol it is venting to air at the moment and is collecting the oil in a can.I have just blocked the vac feed that runs from the inlet manifold to the sensor that sits in the inlet tract,and removed the sensor/heater