Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 Static shocks

Views : 857

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:23   #1
tc
VOC Member

Default 960 Static shocks

I've started getting static shock's off my 960, only get them when getting out of the car after driving, any idea's what could be causing it?.
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:38   #2
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

A Nylon thong?
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:41   #3
Oilydad
Premier Member

Smile

This might help:

Many people experience shocks when they get out of their car. Often they believe that the car is charged - but this is not normally so.

Sitting in the car, electrostatic charges are generated on the car seat and the person's body, due to contact and movement between the clothes and the seat. When the person leaves the seat, They take half of this charge with them. As they get out of the vehicle, their body voltages rises due to this charge - a voltage of 10,000 Volts is not unusual.

When they reach to touch the vehicle door, the electrostatic discharge and shock occurs as their hand approaches the metal door.

The voltage build-up can often be avoided by holding onto a metal part of the door frame as you leave the seat. This provides a return dissipation path for the charge on your body.

If you have forgotten to hold the metal door part as you leave the seat, a shock may often still be avoided by touching the glass window before you touch the metal door. The glass may be conductive enough to dissipate charge, whilst preventing the rapid discharge which is felt as a shock.

If you have your keys in your hand - let the spark discharge through the keys not to your fingers, and you won't feel anything!
To avoid shocks when getting out of the car -

HOLD the metal door frame before you get out

KEEP HOLDING as you get out, until you are fully out of the car.

Cold dry weather, supermarket trolleys and all sorts of things cause static. This site provides some very interesting, and quite amusing facts. It just might even be VOLCANIC DUST !!

http://www.electrostatics.net/articl...hocks.htm#Does the weather affect static electricity?
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 13:38   #4
tc
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplights941 View Post
A Nylon thong?
Lmao....
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 13:53   #5
tc
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilydad View Post
This might help:

Many people experience shocks when they get out of their car. Often they believe that the car is charged - but this is not normally so.

Sitting in the car, electrostatic charges are generated on the car seat and the person's body, due to contact and movement between the clothes and the seat. When the person leaves the seat, They take half of this charge with them. As they get out of the vehicle, their body voltages rises due to this charge - a voltage of 10,000 Volts is not unusual.

When they reach to touch the vehicle door, the electrostatic discharge and shock occurs as their hand approaches the metal door.

The voltage build-up can often be avoided by holding onto a metal part of the door frame as you leave the seat. This provides a return dissipation path for the charge on your body.

If you have forgotten to hold the metal door part as you leave the seat, a shock may often still be avoided by touching the glass window before you touch the metal door. The glass may be conductive enough to dissipate charge, whilst preventing the rapid discharge which is felt as a shock.

If you have your keys in your hand - let the spark discharge through the keys not to your fingers, and you won't feel anything!
To avoid shocks when getting out of the car -

HOLD the metal door frame before you get out

KEEP HOLDING as you get out, until you are fully out of the car.

Cold dry weather, supermarket trolleys and all sorts of things cause static. This site provides some very interesting, and quite amusing facts. It just might even be VOLCANIC DUST !!

http://www.electrostatics.net/articl...hocks.htm#Does the weather affect static electricity?
Yeah, I could try that (I have been earthing myself before getting out anyway), but this has only recently started and it's not just me getting shocks, so I'm more inclined to think something has developed a fault.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 15:43   #6
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Honest,this realy happens to me,when getting undressed and ready for bed at night in a dark room i can see the stattic flashing away like little lightning bulbs,especially when wearing man made fibres.
When i worked in the aircraft industry i used to get stattic shocks all the time from machine tools,even generating sparks sometimes.i wouldnt worry about the car having developed a fault,ive never heard of one that generated static,i would think its definately clothing related.Try driving to work o/natrual and see what happens.He He.

Last edited by Toplights; Apr 22nd, 2010 at 15:47.
Toplights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 17:18   #7
tc
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toplights941 View Post
Honest,this realy happens to me,when getting undressed and ready for bed at night in a dark room i can see the stattic flashing away like little lightning bulbs,especially when wearing man made fibres.
When i worked in the aircraft industry i used to get stattic shocks all the time from machine tools,even generating sparks sometimes.i wouldnt worry about the car having developed a fault,ive never heard of one that generated static,i would think its definately clothing related.Try driving to work o/natrual and see what happens.He He.
lol, I think I'd sooner get 40,000 volts of static through my fingers than drive around in the buff. I only asked about this because I thought I remembered a thread somewhere about earthing problems on the 960 and wondered if static shocks was a symptom.