Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240's are bargains in the UK!

Views : 1572

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2010, 15:05   #1
redboy
Master Member

Default 240's are bargains in the UK!

Hi all-
I was surfing for spares, and came across this:

http://www.scandcar.nl/cars/volvo/vo...5-dl-2_en.html

About 130K miles- and 7500 euros!

Mine has fewer miles and cost a fraction of this. Wonder when prices will go up here too?
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 16:36   #2
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

I know red boy..its wild !!..the price shift for 240"s are both ends of the spectrum..a lot of the ones for sale here (in the uk) though looking sound nearly always need the kind of special care that us 240 fanatics are prepared to carry out and see through to the bitter...errr...a new mot!!.Its a hell of a lot of motor for the money..say for instance you buy one for two hundred notes...a few years down the line this will turn into a grand for sure and money well spent in my book..a rock solid rolling resto which has me well and truly hooked...always surprises me the spectrum of prices..cheers redboy!!...hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 22:06   #3
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Indeed, UK is the place to buy second hand cars. My neighbours are always asking me why I went back to get my 850 last year, they can't see how I can cope with RHD here.
£850, nuff said! Tank the 240 came with me. I paid £1000 in 2003 for 'him' & insurance (lol) value here is noted as 1500€ in the case of a write-off.

Check these prices at a Volvo Indie in France:
http://www.manauto.fr/acheter_un_veh..._occasions.php

That said, it's down to the business taxes over here. The owners are 'stung' majorly, so have to regain it somewhere. I guess the 'locals' are used to it.

So HJ, bring your bus over & flog it for........... 3k? Thought not lol!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/

Last edited by Paul240480; May 15th, 2010 at 22:08. Reason: most folk blame acid rain, I blame HJ!
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:06   #4
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Morning paul...3k!!.only if i have me rose tinted glasses on...and if i take them off...well its a bit like when the lights come at the end of the local disco and you see how you"ve been dancing with all night!!...AAAAARRRRGHHH!!...acid rain!!...moi!...you"ll never make it stick!!..cheers paul..hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:11   #5
NewVolvo
VOC Member

A couple of grand will also net you an almost perfect example of a 240 in Sweden.

Prices for any used cars have always been higher in Europe than in the UK. Possibly due to the major issue of the fact that Europe has LHD cars and can be sold across any country without any issues.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 15:07   #6
marcmarel

The Scandcar example is older than 25 years and therefor tax free in The Netherlands, an interesting fact given that you can drive it on LPG (road tax for that Volvo on LPG would be around 1200 euro's).

This tax measure means old cars from all over Europe are imported to Holland, Mercs W123 are the big thing now.
The party will stop with cars first admitted on the road (in countries that Holland has a tax treaty with) on december 1986, like the UK scheme stops at 1973.

Somehow taxfree UK cars don't make it over here as often as i.e. German, Swiss and Swedish cars, the steering position is probably the main setback.
marcmarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 21:49   #7
yragyrag90

Sickening the whole mass marketing of new cars is.

A lad from work has just bought a new Corsa(sp?)... He's paying around £200 a month!
I could buy a new Tor'! every 2 months for that...
And It's not as if it's falling to bits, I took it on a 3000 mile road trip, and NOTHING went wrong. I drive it 17 mile to and from work DAILY, at 0400 in the morning, cold winter starts.. And it just gets on with it... Yet I had a brand new Ibiza in 03 and it was back in the garage every month.
After 12 months I'd have six Volvos!!! And they'd all work.

Seriously, He'll buy his Corsa, never truely own it, spend hundreds, lose hundreds when he "sells" it... And he'll get hassled into buying another hole in the ground... It's crazy.

He says, I like how my car looks... After he picked himself off the ground, I told him, I LOVE how my car looks as well as drives and how I can fit my canoes/bikes/luggage on the roof (all at the same time) and put a double mattress in the back and go where I please when I please...
Not only that but people see my car they go. "Hey, there's Gary"... When they see his they go, "Ah K' wasted all his money on one of those....

Rant over.
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 18:43   #8
the alarming man
V.O.C MEMBER

prices may well move about but my 240 didnt sell on e-bay and i dont think it was over priced but it goes to show a car is only worth what some one will pay for it
Old May 20th, 2010, 20:31   #9
Mozzer

Smile Case in point??

Hi,

Just emphasise the point...

Have a look at this UK minter 240 estate currently on Fleabay:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-240-GL-e...c#ht_500wt_975

Believe me, this *IS* a genuine minter, I've seen it in the "flesh"!

Wonder what it will fetch??...

Let's see....

Best regards,
Moz.
Mozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 21:55   #10
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

& this one from my 'old indie':

http://www.peelcommonshowroom.co.uk/car.php?id=24

Not up to european prices, but top wack all the same.

That said, if my current Tank failed big time right now, I'd buy that over the phone (after knocking him down a tad) & then go and collect
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote