Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trailer brake lamp fault on tow -help please

Views : 846

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2010, 19:21   #1
Tony60
TonyA

Default Trailer brake lamp fault on tow -help please

Picked up new caravan with LED Brake lamps on van , Volvo dash shows "Trailer lamp fault " ,this is because the Volvo electrics won't pick up LED resistances so shows fault , Volvo Dealer says Volvo electrics not designed for this ,The dealer knew I was having a new van to hook up on my Dec.2009 XC60 when they fitted the genuine Volvo Towbar,anybody else came against this fault.
Tony60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 19:30   #2
Daleman
Master Member

Do the lights work ok on the caravan even with the fault notification?
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 19:47   #3
Tony60
TonyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Do the lights work ok on the caravan even with the fault notification?
all lights work ok.
Old May 18th, 2010, 19:55   #4
Daleman
Master Member

Why I ask is I have ordered the genuine Volvo tow bar and I wondered if it would be a problem with regard to lights on the caravan not working .It would seem not but a permanent fault notification is a pain to live with!
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 20:03   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony60 View Post
Picked up new caravan with LED Brake lamps on van , Volvo dash shows "Trailer lamp fault " ,this is because the Volvo electrics won't pick up LED resistances so shows fault , Volvo Dealer says Volvo electrics not designed for this ,The dealer knew I was having a new van to hook up on my Dec.2009 XC60 when they fitted the genuine Volvo Towbar,anybody else came against this fault.
This could be sorted by getting the software corrected, problem is that you will need to convince Volvo that they need to rewrite that part of the code

If the dealer will not help you then call Volvo Customer Services and explain to them. I have found them very helpful in the past and I find it difficult to believe that something as simple as this cannot be rectified easily.

In fact I find it difficult to believe that there is a fault in the first place ...

Good Luck, don't give in
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 20:15   #6
Tony60
TonyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Why I ask is I have ordered the genuine Volvo tow bar and I wondered if it would be a problem with regard to lights on the caravan not working .It would seem not but a permanent fault notification is a pain to live with!
The problem is, that most of the lights are bulbs ,so, the car reconises them ,as the Brake Lights are all LEDS and run on very low wattage the car don't think one or more of the said Brake lights are working . I can get over the problem by putting a say, 5 watt bulb in the caravan circuit , but why should I? it seems that I have bought a towbar electrics , " Not Fit For Purpose ". ie. Sale of goods Act .
Old May 18th, 2010, 20:42   #7
Tony60
TonyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
This could be sorted by getting the software corrected, problem is that you will need to convince Volvo that they need to rewrite that part of the code

If the dealer will not help you then call Volvo Customer Services and explain to them. I have found them very helpful in the past and I find it difficult to believe that something as simple as this cannot be rectified easily.

In fact I find it difficult to believe that there is a fault in the first place ...

Good Luck, don't give in
thanks for comments having been in the motor trade all my working life I can assure any one that this is a Volvo problem ,but my caravan dealer says some Volvo Owners have added a bulb in the caravan circuit .
Old May 18th, 2010, 21:01   #8
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

The fact is that Volvo can sort this out easily as they are already doing it on the car

The LED lamps at the front or rear of the car do not cause a circuit failure as the software is correctly monitoring the lower current drawn because the lamps are LEDs and remember that the circuits on the trailer are separate from the car, making the job even easier for them

Ergo, an easier argument to have with Volvo!
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 00:50   #9
Gravy

Thumbs down LED Trailer Lights

Bud

Dont know why you Brits inherit so many issues with your Volvos.

I have 2 boat trailers fitted with LED lights which I tow with my XC60 T6, vehicle has never indicated any problems. Vehicle is fitted with a genuine Volvo tow bar and electrics. You need to talk to the installer who fitted these devices to your vehicle.

Gravy
Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote