Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vinyl protection

Views : 810

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 12:49   #1
mu71rd

Default Vinyl protection

Hi,

I seem to have scratched some of the luggage compartments at the back of the car by having it too full of stuff (prams etc).

I'm just wondering if there is anything like an iphone screen cover (but larger obviously) that can be adhered to the places likely to be damaged (sides of boot, bottom of front doors) to be the first line of defence with this kind of thing?

Might be a bit weird to look at, but maybe better than a full dust load protector.

anyone seen or heard of a product that will do this job?

cheers,

Richard
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 13:30   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Surely with all the experience and knowledge of how to detail cars (as in the other post) you have the wherewithall to answer this question yourself?

There are many vinyl repair kits on the market place that are used to rebuild damage and load protectors are available to prevent the damge in the first place
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 13:40   #3
mu71rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Surely with all the experience and knowledge of how to detail cars (as in the other post) you have the wherewithall to answer this question yourself?
no need to be a d!ck about it, but i'll take that as a joke.

just because i have some knowledge in one area, doesn't mean i can't ask for advice in another.

I'm not looking for a product that can repair the finish of the vinyl or plastics - but a product that will help prevent the scuffing and damage of the boot - which isn't as invasive as a boot load liner (which i already have)
The Following User Says Thank You to mu71rd For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 14:09   #4
Daleman
Master Member

I think maybe some of that clear vinyl adhesive sheet you get for wrapping books in would stick on that plastic trim and protect it.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 14:25   #5
mu71rd

thanks - blimey haven't had any of that stuff since i was in school, wrapping up a textbook!

nice idea though - might be worth a try on the areas that i seem to kick every time i get in and out of the car
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 14:44   #6
UKDave

Similar things are made to protect bike frames from chain derailing etc. Depending on how big an area, some of this may be of use.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 19:36   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu71rd View Post
no need to be a d!ck about it, but i'll take that as a joke.

just because i have some knowledge in one area, doesn't mean i can't ask for advice in another.

I'm not looking for a product that can repair the finish of the vinyl or plastics - but a product that will help prevent the scuffing and damage of the boot - which isn't as invasive as a boot load liner (which i already have)
Smileys are generally used in posts to indicate the humour that is available in face to face conversations, but not as obvious in the written word - therefore you were correct to interpret it as humorous

The issue you are going to have is vinyl is relatively hard and very durable and any film, as has been suggested, is not a durable or tough as the vinyl you are attempting to protect A pram will slice through the sticky backed plastic with ease - the other issue will be getting it off the surface later.

You will need something with a much tougher surface, such as a thin polycarbonate sheet that you could bend and mould to fit - regrettably not as cheap and easy as the plastic roll, but more effective
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote