Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just about to order!

Views : 736

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 16:14   #1
Kesnick

Default Just about to order!

Been looking at XC90 for nearly a year. Was about to buy one in March and some one said they were no good on snow! can that be true?

Wife eould love a R type but does not want black leather and the white leather scares me with two boys and a dog!

Probably going for a SE Lux premium with RSE and TV, running boards. Any tips or things I should be aware of.

Previously used to 196t bhp coupe is it welcome to the real world or still fun to drive? Your comments will be apprciated!

Wife wants inscription black with chesnut leather and it growing on me!
Kesnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 19:51   #2
The Painter

I`m set to take delivery of mine tomorrow, The car I am moving from is a Focus ST with close to 300 BHP, I borrowed the dealers demonstrator for a weekend prior to ordering just to assure myself and all I will say is that I was very impressed with the way it performed and certainlly how it sounds, I initially looked towards the 4.4V8 but as this option is no longer available and the 3.2 is a lemon, this left the diesel as the only option. For sure it won`t cover 0-60 in 6 seconds but for a car of such size and weight it certainlly doesn`t hang around, one thing it does brilliantly is sit at high speed with the utmost confidence, I guess this is a pay off of the weight of the car but nonetheless is very impressive.

I can`t comment on the RSE as I haven`t seen it, my dealer however did say that he wouldn`t reccomend an expenditure of around 2K for it as it isn`t perfect.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 20:44   #3
XCF
Master Member

Points to consider ....

1) Read all the stories re the DPF and rising oil levels and make sure you validate against the type of driving you will be doing.

2) On the R Design you can't have a spare wheel (other models can - but it's a spacer saver so of limited benefit anyway)

3) See comments from a user by name of Jeffo re RSE and Digital TV on car he's just taken delivery of. There is a user on her under user name of Elliot2 who used to supply Volvo RSE systems to dealers and can supply and fit something similar to your car for a fraction of the factory prices. You can get in touch with him via for sale / wanted sections. He can supply RSE and factory style sat nav systems and his work is very good - quite a few people on here have happily used him.

4) Running boards are around £400 (see Simon @FRF Vvolvo who advertises on parts forum) and are a simple fit so don't let your dealer charge you any more to supply / fit on a new car.

5) Consider the Polestar upgrade - adds 20 bhp /50nm to torque but is pricey at around £550. Try and find a dealer with a car to try it. Volvo insurance /NFU doesn't charge any extra for it either.

6) R Design turning circle is reduced due to larger wheels - worth considering / being aware atleast.

7) Factory fit bluetooth is new and relatively cheap so worth getting.

8) If you need towbar don't get Volvo - get Westfalia detachable instead as it's invisible when detached unlike Volvo.

9) Expect to hit the summer factory shut down - so car may well be Septdelivery if ordering new now.

10) Look at dealdrivers / drive the deal for best prices. Discounts are not as great as they were ( used to up to 35% off ) but still pretty good.
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 21:46   #4
Chris N

Re the snow, this year in Oxford it was nearly up to my wheel centres. I had no problem what so ever and for a week my car was the only one that moved on my estate! I drove to London and Northampton without a single issue. OK, no diff lock etc but I didn't need it.
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 22:23   #5
jeffo

I agree with everything Nicknick said.

I got the RSE and TV package. I would recommend the concept because tonight I picked my kids up from various events had to do some running around, and they happily sat in the back watching the Simpsons. Cool.

however that said, I would recommend looking at the options from elliot2. He might be able to provide a more flexible system for a fraction of the price. I find the inability to adjust the volume from the back seat annoying. I would also rather store all of my content on HDD or SD rather than DVD. I would really like the TV on the Sat nav screen too. Otherwise I DO like the alternate headrests ytou get with the factory install and the DVD in the arm rest, rather than the glove box or under the seat.

Get the running boards. They look fantastic.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote