Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Frozen handbrakes and cold butts

Views : 912

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 16:27   #1
Mav_UK

Hey People,

Have any of you guys ever had a handbrake cable freeze? And if so what did you do about it? Mine appears to be frozen at the moment (we have a high of -6 to -8 during the day in the Netherlands at the moment) so it works far too well. I.e. Can't release it. The garage that just serviced the car has had a look (incidently we came to an amicable agreement regarding the bill) and said that the cable is froze (my guess anyway) and oiled it. However both he and my dad suggested not using the handbrake until the weather warms a bit and it defrosts.

Chat later people, about to freeze my butt again going home...

Until the heated seat kicks in that is!

Stu

PS Issues regarding heated seats. Howeasy are the thermostats to fix / replace. The passenger seat gets toasty warm, the drivers seat meerly gets rid of the cold. Still much better than nothing, but should it do more?
Old Dec 10th, 2002, 17:19   #2
cbyard
TDC Member ;-)

Default RE: Frozen handbrakes and cold butts

Not on a Volvo, but certainly on various old vans of my youthful acquaintance. Instant fix then was take a blowlamp/hot air gun to it, but that might not work for very long at -6. Underlying problem was always water in the cable- best fixed by fitting new well greased cable- then (cost driven) by removing offending cable, retiring indoors to warm it up, strip if possible and inject as much oil/grease as I could, refitting and crossing fingers.

Also once had similar problem with throttle linkage on type 2 VW Camper van.....

Cheers

Chris
cbyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2002, 00:08   #3
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Perhaps only one of the heater mats is working. There should be one under the seat part and one in the back part of the seat.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:30   #4
Mav_UK

I think that the one in the back is definately not working. Would this cause the one in the base to not get as warm as it should? I've only just noticed as my other half past her test a couple of months ago and I get to sit in the passenger seat. That gets toatsie warm! Are these things easy to fix or are they an electric nightmare (don'tmind mechanicals, or electronics, but not electrics - my wiring looks like spagetti!

Cheers

Stu

Got a fix for the handbrake at christmas. Going home to Leicester and going to put the car in the garage to keep it warm(er) and me and my dad ar going to do as you suggested chriss. Get as much grease in the cable as possible!
Old Dec 11th, 2002, 11:34   #5
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Unless I'm missing theobvious, you don't say which car. I had lots of trouble with the handbrake cable on my 760 - even though I never used it (was auto so left in park). The problem was that the cable ran inside an outer sheath, and where it curves into the backplate on a wheel, it just somehow always got a bit kinked. While I didn't buy one, German Swedish had an alternative, which was just the cable without an outer sheath. I guess if you can get some grease in then all will be well.

Heated seats? Likly to be a broken element. Fairly easy to replace, though you need to take the seat out of the car. Suggest you do some contiunity checks first. The seat bit (rather than the back bit) tends to go first, as you sit on it.
Old Dec 11th, 2002, 11:56   #6
Mav_UK

The car is a 1996 440 1.8. It's only one wheel that giving me problems (the right side), if I use the hand brake it very slowly releases (over 1/2 hour or so). As I said I'm gonna get it in the air just before christmas, i'll check to see if it's got a kink in it, thanks.

As for the seat. The seat part definately has power, as it does take the chill of the seat, it just cuts out really early, meaning that the seat isn't frozen, but it isn't toasty warm either......

Thanks

Stu