Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone know which model of radio I have?

Views : 1411

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2010, 17:48   #11
newv50girl

Thank you - I'll make enquiries - probably costs a fortune from Volvo though!!! Thansk for helping.
newv50girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 20:54   #12
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
bottom line, from what I've read it's about £200 to get an Ipod kit in, but would be good if someone who was an expert on it posted up
This obviously represents more 'progress' then... If (like me) you have a 1996 car and the SC-700 stereo you will find that it has a cassette slot in the front, into which you can shove a neat little device costing £9.99 from Halfrauds which will fool the system into thinking your ipod is a tape. And away you go. Maybe you can downgrade to a more sensible system????

(£200!!!!!! Just grumpy old man talk?? No, surely now (as with the £100 headlight bulbs) it really is true that the world has gone mad!!)
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 07:56   #13
newv50girl

Cheers for that, but I've just chopped in a Peugeot 407 sw to buy this Volvo - Peugeot was loaded with gadgets and the Volvo isn't! I don't really want o "downgrade" to a Tape!! Tape? What are they then? Thanks, though!!!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:20   #14
DWM
VOC Member

Fair enough I didn't expect you to take that suggestion seriously. The big slot is - it seems - an invitation to ridicule these days. That said, for those of us who do still have boxes of cassettes kicking around, the combination that I have (old stereo, CD changer plugged into the back, plus Halfrauds device for ipod) is incontestably the most flexible solution. Good luck anyway.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 09:43   #15
newv50girl

Do you mind me asking how much Halfords charge to supply and fit the ipod device and any idea if it will work with the Performance audio system?

P.s. didn't really take you seriously - just getting frustrated trying to find out what radio model I have!!!!

Cheers.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:36   #16
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newv50girl View Post
Do you mind me asking how much Halfords charge to supply and fit the ipod device and any idea if it will work with the Performance audio system?

P.s. didn't really take you seriously - just getting frustrated trying to find out what radio model I have!!!!

Cheers.
The device I've got doesn't work like that I'm afraid. There is no fitting. It's just a thing that looks like a cassette but with no magnetic tape inside it (presumably just some simple electronics instead) with a wire and jack coming out of it. You plug the jack into your ipod's headphone socket. The cassette part then just slots into the stereo like a normal cassette. The stereo display reads 'tape' but really the ipod is playing through the cassette deck's circuitry. No good for you if you haven't got a cassette slot though. There are people on here who have adapted their car stereos to add an ipod socket. You can doubtless find the threads quite quickly with a search for 'stereo ipod/mp3' or similar. But I'm not sure if they all took advantage of the cassette deck circuitry or not. Some certainly did but I don't know whether there might be another way, or whether you'd want to muck around with the look of your stereo in your nice new car...
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:39   #17
DWM
VOC Member

Did you not find a USB socket as Clan suggested?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 12:36   #18
newv50girl

No, I can't find one. Must have pretty basic model!!
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 15:58   #19
Ben Hur

When you turn the radio on, if the display screen shows only a picture of your car it is the Performance Sound Audio System.

I take it that because can't find an Aux Input, you must have the factory fitted Bluetooth Handsfree System.

This is how Volvo currently roll out the audio systems on their cars:

Performance Sound with Aux Input.
Performance Sound + Bluetooth Handsfree with no Aux Input.
High Performance Sound with USB & Aux Input. (with or without Bluetooth)
Premium Sound with USB & Aux Input. (with or without Bluetooth)

If you want iPod connection you will need to fit the iPod Interface, better to fit the Combined USB/iPod Interface while you're at it.

Don't even think of changing the head unit, it uses Media Oriented Systems Transport (MOST) and Volvo have made it almost impossible to upgrade it.

Peugeot will give you a build in SatNav and Bluetooth for £800 with Volvo double it or more depending on how the car is specified.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Hur For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 16:33   #20
newv50girl

Thanks - this sounds expensive, but if I want one then I 'll have to pay it. I suppose it's a one of outgoing, so will be worth it in the end. Thanks for this helpful info - I thought I would never get to the bottom of it.