Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cycle rack

Views : 2034

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2010, 16:35   #11
AB-UK
Premier Member

Just had a quick look at the table, and it looks like the FWD version can tow a greater load than the AWD. I would have thought it would be the other way round.
Can anyone offer a brief explanation please?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 16:44   #12
nigelearle

I fail to see if the weight is on the tow bar or hanging off the tailgate or even in the boot what's the difference as long as you dont exceed that max loading, the suspension is self leveling so the whole rig runs nice and level, I did fit a jocky wheel with a built in weight guage and reduced the nose weight a little to compensate. Plan to put a laser pico on the roof for our holiday south of Bordeaux, fuel consumption is my only grief.
nigelearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 16:55   #13
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Just had a quick look at the table, and it looks like the FWD version can tow a greater load than the AWD. I would have thought it would be the other way round.
Not at all sure ... but the page is from the US/Canada spec cars, so also not sure if that has a bearing as the cars will be the same but maybe the North America tow hitches etc are of a different spec to the european ones ....
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 16:57   #14
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
It's the total weight of the vehicle that affects the towing load and the AWD system adds weight. The actual max load is decreased for FWD cars though. It's only when the affect of passengers over the rear axel come into play the FWD cars can tow more. If you look at the affect passengers have for instance you can reduce the towing load to 0kg. (recommended load)

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jul 29th, 2010 at 17:04.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 22:00   #15
qm2

Hi Folks just to bring the original question back on line I asked if anyone had used a tailgate mounted rack as the tail gate is plastic and i'm a bit worried about it. I will be towing a caravan using a Volvo detachable swan neck towbar which has a max of 90kg so I can't fit a towbar mount even if I wanted. The towball max has nothing to do with GVW it is the tested and plated weigted the towbar and ball should carry. If a bike carrier is mounted on the bar the weight of the bikes should be taken into consideration.
Has anyone used a tailgate rack please?
qm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 22:43   #16
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
How fast were you going Ian. ;-)
...:-) about 5mph actually - but down a pot holed track - the cross bar clamp came adrift and the bike fell sideways on to the roof - ouch. The dent the peddle made is still there - it's on the list of things to get done - I've been quoted about £120 to have it pushed out.

Anyway qm2 - appears I may be the only one on here..
I can honestly say as per my previous post - the weight of the rack plus bikes resting on the top of the bumper was fine for me (all adult size mountain bikes). I set it up so that the weight leaning forward onto the rear screen was enough to try and keep the centre of gravity as far forward as possible at the same time. The dumb-bell straps through the top of the tailgate were reinforced by two seperate webbing straps tied off to the end of each roof rail - I wanted these to take the stress of any rearward movement instead of the top of the tailgate.
Lateral movement covered by two sidestraps + 2 straps hooked under the bumper.
Honestly - it was going nowhere and precious little of the load was directly on the tailgate at any point.
I checked the tension of all straps at every stop we made - no problem. Only annoyance is you can't open the tailgate obviously - so we kind of loaded the boot 'backwards' from inside the car before we left.

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 15:41   #17
CSS-Enterprise

Has anyone used a tailgate rack please?[/QUOTE]

I've used a bike carrier with the weight taken by two hooks mounted on the tailgate and the rack resting on rear windscreen. Sounds horrendous doesn't it?!

It works fine with three adult mountain bikes. 200 mile trip to the peak district, covering motorways, A-road, B-road and off roads.

The only downside is the effect on fuel...the protruding wheels sit square on to the direction of travel and act like a giant air brake.

Hope that helps.
CSS-Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote