Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Motor Home

Views : 840

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2010, 13:05   #1
jeffo

Default Motor Home

Now that I have my XC90, I am turning my sights on my next acquisition...I want a motor home. Or at least I think I do.

Anyone know a good place (preferably in the North West) to hire a 6 berth motorhome for a week in August. I can be completely flexible on dates between 12/08 and 01/09.

Cheers.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 21:55   #2
The Painter

Hi Jeffo

The following link are worth a look and maybe close to you.

http://www.easyhiremotorhomes.co.uk/

I have owned Motorhomes since 2001 and we are now on our 5th, currently a 2007 Bessacar E795 ( the big one ) which I bought new, they are addictive and hold their money very well, however make sure you do your homework before you buy and if you want a good investment do not entertain a foreign manufactured vehicle as they lose money a lot quicker than a British manufacturer.

David
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 09:35   #3
jeffo

Thanks for the reply. We are considering buying a Fiat Mizar 6 berth, or something similar.

We like the fact that the Fiat has a bed above the cab, bunk beds for the kids, and front seats that swivel, thus allowing use of the full vehicle for living area.

We want a 6 berth even though there is only 4 of us because we hate making beds up every night.

We just need to hire one and see if we really do like it or not.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 18:39   #4
The Painter

Be very careful, at the end of the day it`s your money but craft like the Mizar are manufactured by Ci ( caravans internationl ), an Italian super budget company, yes they are cheap but you very much get what you pay for in this market.

The point I made in my earlier post is highlighted by my own Motorhome, bought new in 2007 for £55000, now looking at ordering for March 2011 and valuation for P/ex around the £52-53000 mark, try doing that with a foreign van.

My Bessacar still has the Fiat cab with the 3.0 engine but it is assembled in England.

Whatever you do, make sure you do your homework on figures and values.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:17   #5
jeffo

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know the Mizar was "cheap". In fact I called one hire company and got told that they don't hire our the Mizar because it "at least £15,000 more than the vehicles we hire out".

A 3 year old model was about £32,000 which I thought was average.

For me it is not about cheap, or expensive, or even resale. It is about getting something which we enjoy, and that will serve our needs. I would rather suffer step depreciation and keep it for 5/6 years, than buy one that "holds its value" but leaves us selling after one time out and vowing never again.

I know the features I want (overhead bed, swivel captains seats, l-shaped kitchen, bunkbeds or rear lounge), and dont care about the make.model.

Cheers.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 19:20   #6
Rainedon

Jeffo, I Googled this. It makes interesting reading.

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-11899.html

A friend has just bought a 32' RV near Colorado. It sleeps six, has a queen size bed and largish bathroom etc etc. It is 8 years old and cost $11,000 ($44,000 new). Perhaps importing a newer vehicle with better equipment levels from the USA would make more financial sense? Yes I know our roads are smaller, but why not tow a small car behind?
Rainedon is offline   Reply With Quote