Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 spark plugs

Views : 2958

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2010, 17:36   #51
mikeyskona
Premier Member

Yes, Lol.. My cars front end has no Baffling / Plastic trimming under the bonnet .... Lots of room for fast moving cold air

[gone]98 V40 - T4 CD[/gone]
[mine]Renault Laguna II Tractor[/mine]
[theMrs]97 V70 2.5 turbo AWD[/theMrs]
mikeyskona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 20:29   #52
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyskona View Post
Yeah... i've only just managed to sort out that coolant loss problem... Now that's sorted i'm on to the next one, which (when funds allow) is a new Thermostat and Coolant Temp Sensor... That will be my temps sorted out, Got to get a new MAF as well. Then i know all the bolt-ons are good

I don't have any plastic sheilding (or baffling under the bonnet), and holes where the fog lights should be, so i am naturally expecting my temps to be a bit lower, as the engine is just getting hammered by air.

Around the city in slow traffic it seems normal, when i'm moving it cools down Alot, so i'm wondering if the lack of wind breaking is doing something :\
......Except in a cold winter or a hotter summer, it is the thermostat that controls the heat of the engine by opening and closing where that little jiggle pin is and not whether you have fogs lights in the holes or baffling under the bonnet......the `98 T4 engine cover is design to let the cooler air around and up inside to keep the turbo cooler as they are not merely heat shields at the rear of the engine but are shaped to catch the air from the cover and push it downwards to keep things cooler, at the front it directs it around the injector rail to help keep the fuel at the right temperature.....when you next take the cover off look underneath it and you will see where the air is channeled....those black pieces of plastic around the engine bay are not just pretty pieces of plastic to make the compartment look tidy ,they are there to help keep the cool air around the engine.......thermostats usually jam open therefore keeping the engine cooler so as soon as you put a new one in notice the difference......

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 19:45   #53
T4Rick
Premier Member

Ive stripped the engine down now and im glad to say ive just broke an exhaust valve.My engine has all the honing marks in the bores as well and looks like its not long been rebuilt lol
T4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 20:41   #54
Baffler
Premier Member

Rick, could you do me a favour whilst you have the head off? Could you measure the distance/depth of the thread for the spark plug. Basically I want to know if longer plugs will fit in place of the original T4 plugs.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 20:50   #55
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Rick, could you do me a favour whilst you have the head off? Could you measure the distance/depth of the thread for the spark plug. Basically I want to know if longer plugs will fit in place of the original T4 plugs.
Come on then, put me out of my misery?! What are you thinking with longer bodied plugs?!!!

Cheers
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 20:31   #56
T4Rick
Premier Member

I want to no as well mate lol.I was thinking of having cossie plugs fitted by sending the head to the machine shop and having the thread tapped to a bigger size.I will measure the size for you baffler
The Following User Says Thank You to T4Rick For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 20:38   #57
T4Rick
Premier Member

Off to machine shop tomorow to sort out a new valvealso ive noticed that i dont have a rocker cover gasket?
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 21:02   #58
Baffler
Premier Member

Cheers Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
Come on then, put me out of my misery?! What are you thinking with longer bodied plugs?!!!

Cheers
I have a set of plugs for the series II S40/V50 T5 engine, which appear to be the same plug but slightly longer, and am curious to know if there's clearance. I suppose I could turn the engine to TDC and measure down with a vernier, if it has the reach.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 21:13   #59
T4Rick
Premier Member

I wouldnt have thought you could get a vernier down there baffler lol.