Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230 Turbo go-faster goodies clear-out.

Views : 5550

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 03:01   #1
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default B230 Turbo go-faster goodies clear-out.

We're having a bit of a purge of old B230 stuff, ready for the next phase of Ryan's 740 project. Here goes...

Engine bits!

1989 B230ET block - circa 200k miles - £50
-Rod size unknown...*could* be 13mm...can confirm on request.
If memory serves correctly, there's nothing much wrong with this, but it's done a few miles and breathes a little heavily (a bit of blow-by). It was removed to allow a fresher B230FK (with new seals) to be installed, but it still ran (and quickly) when it was taken out. I was planning to put it in my 240 as-is until I realised just how rusty that car was! There's a vote of confidence! On the other hand, it'd be an ideal candidate for someone planning an ET rebuild.

1997 B230FK block - circa 100k miles - £50 - SOLD
-13mm rods, oil squirters, and turbo oil drain hole reamed and tapped for 3/4" NPT fitting.
We believe there is something wrong with this engine - we suspect collapsed "ring land" on 3 pistons (due to tuning error at high boost!). The block itself is in good condition (negligible lip on the bores, IIRC), and our plan was to use it as the basis for a rebuild with H-beam rods and forged pistons...but plans has changed. Before a sale is arranged, we will confirm exactly what is or isn't wrong with it. If nothing proves to be wrong (i.e. the compression leak was just the head gasket), we'll bump the price to the £75 quoted below for the other FK.

1997 B230FK block - circa 100k miles - £100
-13mm rods, oil squirters, and turbo oil drain hole reamed and tapped for 3/4" NPT fitting.
Nothing wrong with this one - ran very nicely last summer at circa 300bhp. Only being removed for installation of a B230 with H-beam rods and forged pistons.

1989 531 turbo head - circa 205k miles - £75
-Stock, no cam
Like the B230ET block (above) it was originally partnered with, this head has done a few miles, and although it's perfectly usable as-is, in an ideal world it would benefit from a rebuild...specifically it has been seen to blow a small puff of oil on gear changes, so stem seals and valve guides may need attention. However, let's not get carried away...this head was in regular use last summer and the slight wear is really not a big deal...I'm being fussy, here.

It's covered about 5k more miles than its original block, as it has been fitted to the two B230FK blocks listed above since early 2007. It's in excellent condition in general - very clean inside, and was (very) lightly skimmed before its last installation.

1997 530 turbo head - circa 70k miles - £75
-Stock, T cam
This unusually low mileage and excellent condition head came from the 1997 B230FK I'm (very slowly) putting in my 360. I swapped it for a rebuilt 531 I came across, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and it's surely one of the best 530s you could find today?

###########################

Finally....last but by no means least...Turbo/Downpipe package, comprising of... - SOLD

1) "90+" exhaust manifold, extensively ported to matched T3 flange. Mating face to turbo milled flat (for T3 flange), and M10 studs installed to keep a good sized turbo in place. All told, nearly £150 went into this manifold. It has a few cracks in it (as almost every 90+ manifold does), but doesn't affect it performance wise, and there are no audible leaks. If you're worried about this...don't be - yours is probably exactly the same.

2) eBay-tastic copy of a Garrett T3/T4 hybrid turbo. .63 A/R (large) T3 turbine housing. I can measure the wheels if anyone is interested. Approximately 1 year old, having seen only a few months use and a couple of thousand miles at a maximum of 20psi. Shaft is lovely and tight. Turbine housing wastegate hole extensively ported so the wastegate actually flows some gas! ATP Turbo "Ultimate Internal Wastegate" housing (with 3" V-band outlet) fitted. Finally, there's a genuine Garrett -31 (10psi) actuator fitted, although the bracket for this would benefit from being reinforced / adjusted. We can do this, subject to a chin-wag... There's £280 or so in this turbo - nearly half of which is that kick-ass ATP housing!

3) 3" downpipe to suit a 7/900 in stainless steel, with two O2 sensor bungs (not necessarily in the most useful places, mind you...). No catalytic converter. 3" V-bands top and bottom. Very nicely constructed by a Turbobricker friend of ours a few years ago, and still looks the part now.

That little lot is a setup good for up to 350bhp or so on a stock head, depending on boost pressure. Ryan's car was running at 300bhp at 20psi on this setup with a stock head. The turbo compressor is appropriately sized for that sort of boost pressure, delivering peak charge air temps in the low 30s with an Iveco intercooler. If you want a "hot daily driver" spec 7/900, this is exactly what you want! In an ideal world, you'd change the turbo for a genuine Garrett unit in due course...but I would expect the eBay turbo to last for a good while yet - the last one lasted us 4 years and around 30k miles of hard use (20-30psi for the last year)...the "new" one is around a year old, and has only done about 2k at 20psi (peak).

£300 is the asking price. Given the quality of engineering which has gone into that setup, and how easily it'll just bolt on...I think that's a steal, personally. - SOLD

The one disclaimer I will make is that you can't just bolt this setup on to anything and *assume* that the engine management system will cope. I would pop a wideband lambda probe into one of those bungs, so watch what's happening. Motronic (740/760 Turbo) won't really cope above 10psi. When we wanted to go above 10psi, we replaced the Motronic ECU with a Megasquirt programmable setup. LH2.4 (940) should be fine, but you'll need to look at larger injectors, chips, larger AMM, adjusting fuel pressure....all the usual LH tricks. First though, monitor AFRs, and see what's up. I imagine if you're reading this, you'll already know to scour Turbobricks for this kinda info. If in doubt, we'd be happy to advise.

I think that's all. I'll be happy to get pics of anything anyone wants to see. The engine bits look pretty boring, so I suspect the turbo/DP package will be what people want to see. If I manage to find a spare few minutes, I might even post them without prompting!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164

Last edited by 1stRaven; Sep 13th, 2010 at 13:31. Reason: Updates
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 06:57   #2
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

I do actually have some pics of the setup as it was put on my car.

Atp Wastegate house (as compared to a standard one which is on the left)

90+ manifold, having been ported out. This pic doesn't show the work done afterwards, upgrading the studs to M10's.

3" downpipe (the second sensor bung is on the top 90" bend, facing away from the camera.

Turbo exhaust housing -> ATP Wastegate -> 3" downpipe with Vbands
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 22:50   #3
baggy798
🤍💙💗

PM sent for turbo/dp
baggy798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 13:29   #4
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

a little bump for this.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 15:22   #5
VND
Now with added T4

Sooooo much want.
So little ability to pay or fit.

Bump for sexy Bargains.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 15:24   #6
smithy
VOC Member

i decided that im going to get another block for the forged rebuild so i might be interested in the b230fk to rebore and fit forged internals to save doing my perfect standard block in the car now witch i rebuilt with volvo new o/e pistons and totally rebuilt.but i decided that the block will not take 400bhp+ but dont want to dismantal a good block.so can you pm your number for a chat about block please
smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 23:03   #7
LankyTim
Missing the point

Oh i'f I had the money... Maybe another time....
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 13:32   #8
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Updated for the items that have sold, others are still available though