Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 240 estate

Views : 2920

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2010, 11:35   #1
tobyhead

Default volvo 240 estate

Hi, I am looking to buy a 240 estate, I have around £1000 to spend, What is the best estate to buy for economical reasons mpg etc, I have been driving a mercedes 230e estate and it is just to juicey, Any tips welcome

Thank you
tobyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 16:21   #2
jetronic63

Probably not a massive difference in mpg between the 2.0 and 2.3 but there is a big difference in performance. Most people that have had both seem to prefer the 2.3. My 2.3 manual with FI gives around 28-30 average and up to 34mpg on a run which again is probably around what you would expect. Manual is significantly higher geared than auto and so I would go for the FI, manual trans cars as a rule of thumb without cat. (Late 80s).
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 19:58   #3
Pinchcliff

I've just sold my W123 230TE which I loved, I've recently bought a Torslanda (basically a 2.0 estate) which I really like however the performance is lacking a bit, it's there, but you have to work the engine a bit more than I would like. MPG on a run seems to be around 35ish, which I'm pleased with, however it drops significantly on the daily commute (mostly stop start traffic) to around 25-27ish. I love the look of the Torslanda but if asked to recommend it I would have to be honest and suggest a 2.3 engine.
Pinchcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:38   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Having owned 2.0 and 2.3 engined 240s, I'd strongly recommend going for the 2.3. As has been said, the 2.3 (ideally manual 5-speed or overdrive) has to work a lot less hard, and is a much better drive.

The 2 litre versions were introducd I believe in response to company car tax rules at the time. That's why Ford and Vauxhall both persisted with 1.6 and 2.0 versions of their Cortina, Sierra and Cavalier models through the 80s and 90s.

Basically company car tax was based on engine size - and the breaks were at 1600cc and 2000cc. Which is why so many engines of the day were 1598 and 1998cc!

If fuel costs are a really big deal what about an LPG conversion? If you're doing a biggish mileage the you'll soon recoup your investment. Seek out Classicswede on here - Dai will sort you out!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 20:04   #5
George Duncan

If economy is important to you, go for the 1986cc version. I have been been running one for the last 130,000 of its recorded 275,000 miles and have achieved a genuine 40 mpg on long runs at a steady, moderate speed.
Yes, some deliberation is required when overtaking or approaching hills, but one gets used to that, and it will become increasingly easy to do so if the price of fuel continues to rise.
You probably don't want to become involved with a car as 'experienced' as mine, but I will be disposing of it fairly soon, and if you have no luck by all means get in touch. It's presentable and serviceable, and would be fine for a stopgap.
All the best.

By the way, it lives in Salisbury.
George Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 12:19   #6
scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchcliff View Post
I've just sold my W123 230TE which I loved, I've recently bought a Torslanda (basically a 2.0 estate) which I really like however the performance is lacking a bit, it's there, but you have to work the engine a bit more than I would like. MPG on a run seems to be around 35ish, which I'm pleased with, however it drops significantly on the daily commute (mostly stop start traffic) to around 25-27ish. I love the look of the Torslanda but if asked to recommend it I would have to be honest and suggest a 2.3 engine.
I concur - the Torslanda is for die hard 240 fans who are wanting a rare and late special edition very low spec model - almost a statement of plain-ness

I would get a late 80's 2.3 non cat GL or GLT spec - cloth or leather I actually prefer cloth in these as it is very very tough and is easier to keep clean (having owned 240s with both)

get the best you can afford
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 12:23   #7
scooters

oh - and of course MPGs with these bricks is just like your Merc - entirely dependent on your right foot!

Last Friday I left St Albans at 1330 and had to be in Edinburgh by 2000 - it took me 4 hours to drive 140 miles - the last 220 I did flat out in the Torslanda and terrified some tourists with my momentum overtaking on the A702 - reminds you of the old days pre turbos and tdis - zip torque means you have to think well ahead - no idea what MPGs I did but it can't have been very high (fuel gauge screwed)
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 19:32   #8
George Duncan

How is your search going?
George Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote