Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why do they do this ........

Views : 1358

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2010, 00:06   #11
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
Mine is actually fine from any cold start watch this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFIjz69Smf4
Hmm, curious: I've never ever seen a fast idle on mine (B200E). But so far it has always started after a couple of seconds' cranking, even in the depths of winter, and happily idles while I de-ice the windows. Occasionally it only fires on three cylinders, but revving it gently gets all firing after a few moments. Seems like no two of these cars are alike by now!
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 07:57   #12
'88740GL

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Hmm, curious: I've never ever seen a fast idle on mine (B200E). But so far it has always started after a couple of seconds' cranking, even in the depths of winter, and happily idles while I de-ice the windows. Occasionally it only fires on three cylinders, but revving it gently gets all firing after a few moments. Seems like no two of these cars are alike by now!
This was when i first purchased the car, no doubt you could see my car on the right hand side of the video, red corsa 1.7 diesel, 75-80mpg that got on vegetable oil! There was a bit of TLC work that needed to be done on this volvo, nearly all are done now! The injector seals let air past them and gave a high start idle (i thought this was normal for an injected car, seems not for K-Jet) So the seals let air past them, made a weird hunting idle and loads of stinky, eye stinging exhaust fumes and burned shed loads of petrol (12mpg)!!, though it never blackened the plugs....

Now it starts and goes straight to 1000revs,then once warmed up will drop to around 750ish....

Did you like the mileage?
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 08:40   #13
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
Now it starts and goes straight to 1000revs,then once warmed up will drop to around 750ish....

Did you like the mileage?
Interesting! Characters, these cars...

Yep, I like the mileage!
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 10:23   #14
Truffler

Smile 700/940 starting

I put my foot down on the clutch when starting my 940 to save turning over the gearbox also and give a bit more oomph to the starter. The owners manual advises this under starting procedure part.
Mine has that clicky clack sound, but that maybe water pump bearing.

They do sound good after that initial start though.
Truffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 22:27   #15
Rustee
Rustee

My B200 740 with 200k miles starts instantly from cold (not the same story from warm...).

My top condition 240 2.3 with manual Kjetronic starting from cold sounds more solid but always goes chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga then voom!

I've got a problem now because I know the 740 is a bit worn and bought the 240 to replace it but the 740 sailed through the mot 2 weeks ago and appeals to me so I may now be a 2 Volvo family if the other half agrees...

I replaced all the brakes last year on 740 and if I did all the springs and dampers this year the 740 would be back to nearly new?

What would you guys do?

Rustee.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 23:50   #16
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
I've got a problem now because I know the 740 is a bit worn and bought the 240 to replace it but the 740 sailed through the mot 2 weeks ago and appeals to me so I may now be a 2 Volvo family if the other half agrees...

I replaced all the brakes last year on 740 and if I did all the springs and dampers this year the 740 would be back to nearly new?

What would you guys do?

Rustee.

Keep both then you have a spare if one is ever off the road.

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post: