Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radio/CD

Views : 1280

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2010, 19:16   #11
Timbuktu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncVolvoTurbo View Post
I have a black SC805 radio/tape/cd double din unit that fits in the 960. It is for sale at £74 delivered.

Hi there DuncVolvoTurbo

Sorry for the "indirect" approach - completely out of the blue, I tried to send you a pm, however couldn't owing to lack of posts..............

My name is Tim, I live near to Warminster in Wiltshire and have recently purchased a 1994 Volvo 940S, which I'm over the moon with apart from the stereo, which whilst sounding excellent is a cassette player only.

Having recently joined/signed up to this forum and trawled through looking for hints and tips, I came across your post regarding having a SC805 radio/tape/cd double din unit that fits in the 960. Is it still for sale?

Once again, sorry for the direct approach,

Regards,

Tim

(Timbuktu)
Timbuktu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 19:30   #12
gpl1968
VOC Member

You can't fit a double din unit in the 940 as it has a different dashboard layout to the 960/V90.
The radios can easily be swapped for single din units however, the reqiuired adaptors being readily available on the likes of ebay.
This web page lists the various adaptors used in the 940.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 20:20   #13
Timbuktu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl1968 View Post
You can't fit a double din unit in the 940 as it has a different dashboard layout to the 960/V90.
The radios can easily be swapped for single din units however, the reqiuired adaptors being readily available on the likes of ebay.
This web page lists the various adaptors used in the 940.

Ah!

Saved from an expensive mistake - thank you.

I guess an "after-market" system and adaptor may be the best way forward then.

thanks again

Tim
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 22:59   #14
stevieturbo

My CR-906 has a boot mounted changer..

I'm going to buy one of these Grom USB/MP3 adaptors intended for an SC-series radio and see if it will work.

It basically allows a USB stick full of MP3's to be seen as the CD changer. So no slow CD changing operation, no skipping, and plenty of music installed.

I tried to order one tonight but seems it's out of stock, will speak to supplier tomorrow. Although it is taking a chance as to whether it will work or not
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 00:44   #15
Timbuktu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
My CR-906 has a boot mounted changer..

I'm going to buy one of these Grom USB/MP3 adaptors intended for an SC-series radio and see if it will work.

It basically allows a USB stick full of MP3's to be seen as the CD changer. So no slow CD changing operation, no skipping, and plenty of music installed.

I tried to order one tonight but seems it's out of stock, will speak to supplier tomorrow. Although it is taking a chance as to whether it will work or not
Steve,

Thanks for the info - I have a CR-905 head unit, it has the controls for a CD, but no unit attached - I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

I currently use a FM transmitter to play my iphone stored tunes through the stereo, however the phone "polling" interferes with the stereo and sounds dreadful. I could put the phone into flight mode, but then I'd miss the calls that come through the hands free kit (jabra ear piece) - or lose the benefit of the sat nav....

A CD loaded with mp3s seemed the way forward...........

let me know how you get on,

Regards

Tim
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 09:54   #16
gpl1968
VOC Member

My Panasonic head unit plays mp3 CDs. I can get about 10 hours of music on a cd-r in mp3 format. This is more than enough for the longest journey.
The other benefit with mp3s is the head unit lists the album/track info on it's display, which makes searching for tracks easy.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 13:07   #17
stevieturbo

MP3 CD's are ok. But in any head unit Ive tried, they tend to be slow to locate tracks.

Having the MP3's on solid state memory makes it much faster. And it's a bonus if there is never any skipping and you can have several gig to hand.

Will post an update when I get the Grom thingy.

Although in two other vehicles I have, I have MP3/USB head units. One is a Blaupunkt and teh other a Sony. The operation of the Sony is much nicer than the Blaupunkt, but as others mentioned, the Sony is a bit "bling", I tried covering over some of the lights, as they are just plain annoying.

Blaupunkt is subtly styled though
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote