Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dilemma - repair or replace

Views : 1132

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2010, 19:02   #11
zetor160

Default Scrap it???- Perish the thought...!!!

Skye driver..

It seems that you could consider yourself TOLD..!!

At the end of the day..it's your car and your budget so the buck stops with your good self.

I might just add though that most of us here are only making the kind of decisions you are contemplating with 700/900 cars that are well past the 20+ year age bracket.

It depends purely on what it is worth to you. Good luck in your decision making.
zetor160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 19:24   #12
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default abs

I took mine to the Volvo main dealership to get my ABS light sorted. They couldn't find anything wrong, so I just took the bulb out . Seems to be a problem with the sensor getting junked up.
barkster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 00:51   #13
Diesel Smoke Sally
Sad member

Default Replace or repair

I find myself in a similar position:I think my head gasket has blown (Blows all the water out of the header tank after about half an hour's driving and there's oil in it) and something's starting to vibrate in the steering, the rear screen heater doesn't work (not fuse; I checked) and she only just scraped through this year's MOT (emissions:-( ) ... but she still runs o.k. for short trips and MOT's June next year. Have nowhere to work on it undercover and can't be without something for work (Decorator). It's a 1988 740 turbo diesel that's done over 235000 miles and I really don't want to part with her but...
Diesel Smoke Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 23:37   #14
Skyedriver
Master Member

Thanks everyone for your advice
In response, I have had the wheels off and worked on the brakes a few months ago replacing sliders etc which were seized totally however the pistons are seriously sticky and refuse to push back into the calipers. One rear caliper is totally seized.
Quite happy to run with the head gasket held together with "snake oil" for the moment.One thing I didn't mention previously is that one of the plugs hasn't been out since I bought the car 50k miles ago as when I tried to remove it it "felt" cross threaded.....
Will investigate the repair kit for the calipers but would always prefer to have them done profesionally.
Bottom ball joint I have a spare new one.
Re keeping this car as a spare, I already have a spares car (350 mile away) but everything on it is seized.
Re code reader, will have a look at making one but what does it tell me and in what form. Will it tell me if there is a duff connection or whatever. Dust shields have disintegrated on the backs of the discs but I have cleaned the ABS sensors and rings without success.
So in conclusion: If anyone has 4 decent calipers, and a passenger side wing in silver (saves me painting the blue one I have) and/or lives near Durham/North Yorkshire with a code reader I'd love to hear from you. Cash paid or can swop some bits from my spares car etc.
Thanks again
Skyedriver is offline   Reply With Quote