Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Torque Convertor "Lock-Up" ???

Views : 947

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2011, 16:25   #11
Paddy Wagon

Clan, It's definately not speedo error, I've checked it over a measured mile a couple of times and its bang on. The main dealer that sold and maintained the car is open tommorow so I'll give them a call and see if they changed the convertor or the box at anytime. Retro fitting the AW from the 740 could be on the cards, its a longer legged box for starters, max speed in 1st, 2nd and 3rd with a 5,000rpm shift point is 40, 70 and 100mph,,, with the ZF in my 940, max speed at 5,000 comes out at 30, 58 and 86, plus I prefer the shft lever in the 740, easier to change gears manually with it as the lock button on the top of the lever and the O/D switch sits nicely under my thumb whereas with the ZF lever, the lock button being on the front of the lever is not so well placed and not as quick or easy to operate.
Hi stevieturbo, believe me, down here in the wilds of west Cork, where 50 per cent of the vehicle's are tractors and the other 49 per cent are flat cap grandads who are convinced they'll get a nose bleed if they go faster than 40mph, you need the kickdown, especially when you might only have 100 yards of straight road to get past these fossils.
Paddy Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 16:29   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

I'm just stating how an older hydromechanical auto box works ..

Are you sure it is the original box , correct box for a diesel ?
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 16:30   #13
stevieturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy Wagon View Post
Hi stevieturbo, believe me, down here in the wilds of west Cork, where 50 per cent of the vehicle's are tractors and the other 49 per cent are flat cap grandads who are convinced they'll get a nose bleed if they go faster than 40mph, you need the kickdown, especially when you might only have 100 yards of straight road to get past these fossils.
Nope.

In the case of the diesel it makes very little power, and no torque at high revs. So when you try to overtake it kicks down, makes a lot of noise, but you dont actually go any faster. In fact, on many occasions it's actually gone slower because it simply will not rev !!

With my setup, you put your foot down, and it accelerates, so you can actually overtake people. It's certainly no modern diesel, but it's starting to behave a little more like one.

Now obviously a petrol engine will be different. But there is no point revving the crap out of an old diesel when it isnt going to get you anywhere.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 16:32   #14
stevieturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I'm just stating how an older hydromechanical auto box works ..

Are you sure it is the original box , correct box for a diesel ?
I see no reason why the box wouldnt be correct.

I bought the car with 167k and its got around 240k nowand Ive owned it for the last 11 years or so. Although havent really driven it much the last 3 or so.
It's rather unlikely the box or any other parts were changed.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 16:38   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=stevieturbo;807201]Nope.

In the case of the diesel it makes very little power, and no torque at high revs. So when you try to overtake it kicks down, makes a lot of noise, but you dont actually go any faster. In fact, on many occasions it's actually gone slower because it simply will not rev !!

QUOTE]

thats a symptom of a petrol gearbox in a diesel , ie needing more revs before it changes up and as yours is a diesel not getting there . I always remember the D24T going like a train on full throttle going up through the gears ...
Your diesel should change up whilst still in the power band well before it gets to the max revs where there is no power .. sounds like it is stuck in the lower gear waiting for the extra revs ( and road speed ) a petrol has before it changes up , its highly unlikely your box would have run that long without troubles and being repaired . check the serial number with volvos database at the dealer .
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 16:42   #16
Paddy Wagon

we'll agree to differ steve, your engine has been tweeked so no doubt that particular set up works for you, whereas mine is factory spec. Having said that though, this thing does rev very freely, and it fairly flies on kickdown, When I first got it the kickdown cable was well out of adjustment and overtaking was a bit of a gamble, now that I've adjusted it its way better.
Paddy Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 16:45   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

this may help you identify your box , the plate is on the side underneath ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZF identification.jpg (144.7 KB, 6 views)
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 16:49   #18
stevieturbo

My diesel, whilst it does have a high redline....certainly doesnt like going anywhere near it, and nor would I try.
Diesels are not revvy engines !

I see no reason to rev any diesel beyond 4000rpm and I'd consider that very high. I think the redline is over 5k ?

But on a more positive note....the gearbox is a million times better than the BMW 525tds I had before it !!
BMW's stuff made me laugh. They quoted some crazy torque figure at 1900rpm. Except with their gearbox, the engine was barely ever below 3000rpm so it would be physically impossible to make use of that torque. It was well up there with one of the worst cars Ive ever owned.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 16:52   #19
stevieturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
this may help you identify your box , the plate is on the side underneath ...
If I'm under it again I'll have a nosey, but as said, dont drive the car anymore. It's just sitting parked up.
Nothing about the car leads to me think it would be anything other than original though.
But you never know.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 16:52   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

that sheet is 740 info though but worth looking at ..