Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Garrett Turbo GT1749V, 708639 Variations

Views : 4076

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2010, 12:11   #1
accelerated

Exclamation Garrett Turbo GT1749V, 708639 Variations

Hi all,

I need a replacement turbo for my V40 2004 1.9 TD.

The current turbo on it is a Garrett GT1749V, 708639-5.

I have found a few replacements, but they are all 708639-1/2/3/4/6/7/8/9/10 and not 5.

Most seem to be from a Megane or Laguna etc.

My question is, do I have to fit a -5, or can I use any variation?

Thanks in advance
accelerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 11:34   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

The GT1749V is common to a lot of vehicles such as Ford Galaxy as well as Renaults. The additional numbers possibly relate to the castings so if you are replacing a complete unit they probably need to be the exact same number .
Have just replaced a duff turbo on a Galaxy , the rotor spindle and thrust bearing was so worn out its a wonder the car managed to get as far as it did , it can be waggled back and forward about 4 mm and the car would start and run at low revs but gave out large clouds of white smoke . It took two months of searching on ebay to find a suitable replacement ( I didnt want to pay the £300 for a so called refurbed turbo because I dont trust the people offering them at this price ) and eventually found a second hand one for £100 which is now installed and working perfect for the past couple of months . I think ( not 100% certain) the common assembly that would be identical on all GT1749V units is the central core( rotor/bearing/oil inlet) and if I were doing this job again I would take a chance and just replace that part or use a refurb kit as once you have the turbo off its relatively easy to remove and replace , thats provided the wastegate and castings are all ok and you might find that part easier to get hold of than trying to get a complete turbo as you can widen your search , dont take my word for it as I am not a mechanic but someone on here probably knows if its ok to do this. I can post photos of the Galaxy turbo core to see if there are any differences in yours if you are interested in going down this route .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 01:19   #3
accelerated

Thanks for the reply.

I decided to get mine repaired rather than buy second hand as there was only about £50 between the two.

I did toy with the idea of trying to rebuild it myself but I wasn't brave enough!

My turbo will be stripped, cleaned, re-assembled with a brand new core (new bearing
housing, turbine wheel, compressor wheel, backplate) and a full service kit including bearings.

It should hopefully be back with me next week.
accelerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 16:23   #4
svernond

Accelerated - where did you go to get your turbo reconditioned? i have just been quoted over £900 to replace at a local garage. I am yet to determine the part number of my turbo as i am waiting to collect from the garage in the morning. I see there are some on ebay, having to return mine when removed for £311. A friend has offered to help me fit. I was curious as to how much it will cost to recon my turbo and how long it will take. Thanks for any reply.
Steve.
svernond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 16:38   #5
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerated View Post
Hi all,

I need a replacement turbo for my V40 2004 1.9 TD.

The current turbo on it is a Garrett GT1749V, 708639-5.

I have found a few replacements, but they are all 708639-1/2/3/4/6/7/8/9/10 and not 5.
Thanks in advance
As far as I know, the last digit( 1/2/3/4/6/7/8/9/10 ) is a year of manufacturing
1 is 2001, 2 is 2002 and so on, I had to change turbo as well, I had year 2005 release, I bought reconditioned one for 300quid last digit was -7.. I was lucky, because it was made in 2007

Anyway, take a picture on your phone or take that old turbo with you when you buy new one(second hand or reconditioned)

If they look the same and there is no movement of the blades then take it.
Just make sure all the bolt positions and exhaust pipe/s fits into the same positions
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote