Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Latest ECU upgrade - WARNING

Views : 1223

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 10:39   #1
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default Latest ECU upgrade - WARNING

I have just had the ECU upgrade required in the recent recall letter and can see no differences to the engine or performance - BUT I have seen a big change to the satnav.

The process of doing the upgrade has completely reset the satnav to default losing the various preferences (not serious) but also losing all of the stored locations. Volvo is being made aware of this fault to the upgrade, meantime I recommend that you write down all of your locations so that you can reenter them.

This will of course please those who decry the Volvo satnav as useless and who didn't spec it on their car, as they will not suffer from this issue and for once, regrettably, I agree with them.

Last edited by wimorrison; Feb 21st, 2011 at 10:58.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 11:15   #2
Celticxc60

That's interesting. I had mine done at Squire Furneax Pirbright last week and it has not affected my Satnav.
Celticxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 11:19   #3
Lexon

Default Sat Nav

Had mine done at Marshalls Nottingham and mine is OK too
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 11:51   #4
NewVolvo
VOC Member

The same happened to me last year when I had the upgrade made. Wiped out everything from sat nav entries to even radio stations. Took 2 hours to put everything back in again!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 12:42   #5
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I have just had the ECU upgrade required in the recent recall letter and can see no differences to the engine or performance - BUT I have seen a big change to the satnav.

The process of doing the upgrade has completely reset the satnav to default losing the various preferences (not serious) but also losing all of the stored locations. Volvo is being made aware of this fault to the upgrade, meantime I recommend that you write down all of your locations so that you can reenter them.

This will of course please those who decry the Volvo satnav as useless and who didn't spec it on their car, as they will not suffer from this issue and for once, regrettably, I agree with them.
Thats bad, if it's a known problem they should have told you before the update surely?

This won't please anyone as most people will have to have upgrades as they are done automatically at service whether the car has been recalled or not, and presumably any other stored data such as audio, phonebook and other car settings are also at risk? TBH most of the people who seem to decry the Volvo system are those who have specced it not those who haven't, judging by previous posts!

Once again it just shows how we all become over reliant on technology, which reminds me I must back up my mobile phone contacts! I was reading an article last year whereby people now are actually losing contact with people they've known for some time due to losing a mobile phone with all their numbers.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 12:50   #6
tem
Premier Member

I have not had any problems with the Sat Nav, after upgrades.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 12:50   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticxc60 View Post
That's interesting. I had mine done at Squire Furneax Pirbright last week and it has not affected my Satnav.
Same place as me, they said that they have others that had the same issue, but aslo some that did not have the issue - weird
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 13:51   #8
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post

Sorry to hear that, not something any of us would be pleased with on this forum, factory fit or not.

BTW last year I updated my maps on a Garmin and it crashed, needing a hard reset and - yes loss of all stored data!

It's a shame you can't back up data to a SD card or the like, I hope you are going to ask the garage/Volvo for some suitable compensation, it has worked for me twice now!
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote