Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo xc70 2001 rear bumper surface flaking

Views : 933

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 15:39   #1
martyk

Smile Volvo xc70 2001 rear bumper surface flaking

I have a Volvo xc70 2001. I notice there is a patch underneath the rear lights at the drivers side where the surface of the plastic bumper seems to have cracked off. There is another patch on the plastic wheel arch.
Is this just some sort of lacquer that has come off? If so can I just fix it by brushing it over with clear coat lacquer? I want to get these patches fixed properly as I planned to use gtechniq C4 to restore the bumpers back to new.
This stuff apparently only binds to plastics so I want to make the repair areas will take it ok. Anyone seen this on their bumpers? Is it just a problem with the lacquer?

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XC70_Rear_Bumper1_IMAG0163.jpg (273.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg XC70_wheel_arch_IMAG0162.jpg (180.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by martyk; Feb 21st, 2011 at 17:20. Reason: Pictures Added
martyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 18:44   #2
cbee
VOC Member

Hi Martyk,

We have a 2004 XC70 and I'm pretty sure there is no lacquer on any of our plastic.

I think I would see if thinners or something gets it all off (try small area out of sight) then treat sparingly with a plastic reviver.
cbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 19:47   #3
martyk

Thanks for the reply! Its a bit odd. The front bumpers and side door trim look more brown in colour but the rear bumper and rear wheel arches look more grey in colour.Its almost as though the rear bumper and wheel arches trim were sprayed with a grey paint/lacquer. That is a lot of Lacquer to take off!
Maybe the previous owner got it sprayed in order to try and reduce the amount of polishing required!

I need to establish for sure what is going on. Is the brown showing through on the wheel arch trim the true plastic bumper or should it have this grey black film over it?

If it should be brown I will need to strip the grey black film off everywhere on the back end. (what should I use to strip it?)
If it should be grey/black I need to seal the 2 patches with lacquer.

Once I know what to do I can then apply the bumper restorer!
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 20:04   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk View Post
I have a Volvo xc70 2001. I notice there is a patch underneath the rear lights at the drivers side where the surface of the plastic bumper seems to have cracked off. There is another patch on the plastic wheel arch.
Is this just some sort of lacquer that has come off? If so can I just fix it by brushing it over with clear coat lacquer? I want to get these patches fixed properly as I planned to use gtechniq C4 to restore the bumpers back to new.
This stuff apparently only binds to plastics so I want to make the repair areas will take it ok. Anyone seen this on their bumpers? Is it just a problem with the lacquer?

Thanks for any help.
Volvos don't suffer paint problems , thats why even 30 year old ones will have perfect paint if cared for properly . This kind of thing you have is typical of a poorly repaired paint job from some time after it left the factory i am afraid ...
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 20:25   #5
martyk

Yes its starting to look as though the rear bumper and side wheel arch trim has been painted over at some point. Cant see any physical damage to the bumper but I guess it may have a crack somewhere that has been repaired then sprayed over. Any suggestions as to how I could go about removing the paint without damaging the plastic underneath?