Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Automatic Transmission - Manual Gear Shifts

Views : 1089

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 09:13   #1
blomkvist

Default Automatic Transmission - Manual Gear Shifts

Having tested the car for 3 days, after familiarising myself with it, I've come to find very interesting and amusing the manual shifts of the automatic gearbox.

Are you using this option?
Do you find it practical or entertaining?

(I have to wait for 2 months for mine)
blomkvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 13:47   #2
Rich17

Only use it when going down really steep hills (Ditchling Beacon) and don't want to overheat the brakes, or when towing our caravan up steep hills. Otherwise its always in the right gear at the right time.
Rich17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 14:07   #3
Dodgy77
YAYAY

I had a go with the manual gears in a car I was given when mine was delayed.

I found that I couldnt hear the engine revving much so it was kinda impractical.
You dont realise how much you depend on naturally changing gear in your old manual cars when you get to a certain amount of revs.

I had it in 2nd gear going about 100kmh and I could only then hear the engine then revving the crap outta itself up near the red line
Dodgy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 01:18   #4
darbs
XC60 Owner

i drive on the a12 nr ipswich now and again. i don't go into ipswich, that would be wrong.

anyway, there are about 10 roundabouts to navigate. one of the problems i find with the auto is that on approaching a roundabout it doesn't change down to a low enough gear (usually stays in 4th). it only changes down when you exit the roundabout and put your foot down. i find the kickdown can be slightly jerky in hard acceleration and after about the 3rd roundabout it becomes a bit of a pain.

on approach to a roundabout now, i move the stick over to manual and change down manually to 2 or 3. this is much smoother and avoids the kick on the exit. as soon as i've put my foot down on exit i slide the stick back to D. the auto transparently takes over, and doesn't move up too quickly.

also, i use manual if i know that i'm about to need a lower gear, e.g. getting ready to overtake. again more responsive than waiting for the auto to kickdown.

one thing which takes a little getting used to is to change down you move the stick forward, and to move up you pull the stick down. you get used to it pretty quickly though.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 09:05   #5
blomkvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
one thing which takes a little getting used to is to change down you move the stick forward, and to move up you pull the stick down. you get used to it pretty quickly though.
I think it's the other way around, but other than that I agree with everything you mentioned.

It's funny that when you have 3rd gear and you want to shift to 4th you tend to pull the lever instead of pushing it forward and you end up with 2nd...

Finally, when I drive with manual shifts my left foot is always keen to get in the way, and I have stepped on the brake a few times! (very dangerous...)
blomkvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 09:44   #6
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blomkvist View Post
I think it's the other way around, but other than that I agree with everything you mentioned.
you're right. i said it was confusing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blomkvist View Post
Finally, when I drive with manual shifts my left foot is always keen to get in the way, and I have stepped on the brake a few times! (very dangerous...)
i did this once or twice to begin with but don't even almost do this now.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote