Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing the brake fluid ?

Views : 1076

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2011, 16:17   #1
rustydonkey
Pimp wagon

Question Changing the brake fluid ?

With my soon to be brake upgrade i am going to change the brake fluid at the same time. As the front brake hoses and calipers are going to be off, what is the best way of changing the fluid and bleeding the system ?

Did i read somewhere that to bleed the ABS unit, it has to go to a dealer and be plugged in to open the valves ?

Thanks in advance.
rustydonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:04   #2
rustydonkey
Pimp wagon

Clan, Jaff, anybody got a clue ?
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 14:48   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydonkey View Post
With my soon to be brake upgrade i am going to change the brake fluid at the same time. As the front brake hoses and calipers are going to be off, what is the best way of changing the fluid and bleeding the system ?

Did i read somewhere that to bleed the ABS unit, it has to go to a dealer and be plugged in to open the valves ?
Thanks in advance.
I dont think you read that anywhere :-)

firstly empty the reservoir with a syringe and thin rubber hose , then top up with clean fluid , get someone to sit in the car to pump the pedal and someone else to keep the reservoir topped up .

Open a nipple and let the person pump the pedal until clean fluid comes out , perhaps 20 pumps on each corner . It makes no difference which order you do it ..
Old May 4th, 2011, 13:27   #4
rustydonkey
Pimp wagon

Cheers Clan.
I think this is where i got it from,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff87 View Post
if its anything like a ford one, which i suspect it is as its the same HCU you need to do whats called a "service bleed" using the correct diagnostic computers as part of the recoding proccedure to the cars pcm ( ias fars as ic an tell basically the computer tells the HCU to pump and it pumps about 3l through the system), unless you do that iitc the brakes wont work.
On the VAG ones you can bleed the brakes up normally but then you still need the unit programmed using vag computers.
From here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...602#post761602

I assume i don't have to worry about this?

I am going to be changing the fluid at the same time as fitting new front calipers and hoses. What is the best way of changing the fluid whilst doing this ?
Old May 4th, 2011, 18:44   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

No , volvo's way is nothing like a ford proceedure ( even if the component is the same ?) just as described above ... they do recommend a 3 bar pressure bleeder , but normal foot pumping works .
Old May 4th, 2011, 23:04   #6
Jaff87
it goes like ooft!

according to the VIDA proceedure they recommend a kit like the gunson eeziebleed kit, i think i got mine from halfords for about £18.

basically its a one man jobby, you get a bottle to put fresh fluid in, on the cap there are thwo hoses one has an end on it for a tyre valve ( take you spare tyre and deflate it to under 20psi, the other lead to a cap with differen gaskets that you screw onto your brake fluid bottle, you connect up the cap fires then fill thebottle then attach the tyre, this then under pressure feed the fluid up into the reservoir. then crack open one of the bleed nipples, usually furthese away from the reservoir first keep it open until only clean fluid with no bubbles come out, keep an eye on the bottle and dont let it empty, and repeat its dead easy can do all 4 calipers in about 10-15 minutes

you should need about 1.5-2l to so a full change, especially if you want to bleed the clutch too, but few do. I use ATE blue fluid, it makes it easier as to change (since this stuff is blue you keep the valve open till just blue stuff is coming out) and it is good quality fluid, lasts longer than conventional 4dot but has the properties as 5 dot.
just remember to mop uo all the brake fluid and if you spill any on pain or wheel rinse with water heavily or it will eat your paint.
Jaff87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:42   #7
rustydonkey
Pimp wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaff87 View Post
I use ATE blue fluid.
Jaff, isn't that racing fluid ?
Old May 7th, 2011, 18:13   #8
Jaff87
it goes like ooft!

they sell it as that but its perfectly good to use on the road. but its good stuff and damn near impossible to boil on a road car, where as you can with regular 4 dot if your committed. I also like it since Ate make the calipers etc for our cars.
Jaff87 is offline   Reply With Quote