Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front brake recommendations for 480 2.0ES ?

Views : 435

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2011, 11:32   #1
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Default Front brake recommendations for 480 2.0ES ?

The front discs and pads are due for replacement soon on my 1993 2.0 480.

- Volvo OEM front pads and discs are £132
- I've seen some matched Mintex sets for around the £50 mark all in
- I've had EBC in the past on previous cars but don't think they're good value

Two questions:-
- How do I find out what braking system would have been fitted to my car at the factory so I can check what's suitable ? (No ABS, solid discs not vented)
- Does anyone have any recommendations from personal experience ?

Thanks
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:20   #2
B20F
Master Member

Try finding ATE, those are the OEM discs and pads and cheaper to get. A more expensive alternative is Brembo. Mintex is the budget alternative, not as good and they wear more quickly. The 2.0i has solid discs front&back doesn't matter abs or non abs, the discs are the same.
Old May 30th, 2011, 14:18   #3
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Thanks for the advice - I guess I'm looking for something between the price of the Volvo dealer and the Mintex then !

With regards to the Brembo, I had seen those listed but I was a bit wary of spending more and them not fitting.

Would you happen to know where I can find out the dimensions etc of the standard 2.0 Volvo/ATE discs so that I can ensure there's a match.

Thanks
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 16:13   #4
B20F
Master Member

Try partsforvolvosonline. They offer different brands. For oem pads and discs click on the Volvo logo, they are a lot cheaper then at the stealers. Good site and good service. The front solid discs&pads are all the same for the 1.7i&2.0i. The dimensions are 260mm and 12mm thickness.
The bolts from the caliper can be a nightmare to get loose. Get yourself good quality tools and prepare for a fight! Also the small screw which retains the disc itself is notorious. This is because the screw is too long so the end sticks out at the back, which cause them to rust solid. I surrendered, went to a DIY garage and let them loosen the bolts for me. On a ramp it's a quick job as you don't have to remove the wheels to access the bolts. That way I could finish the job on my own driveway. Best is to replace the brakefluid while your at it, DOT4 1liter should be sufficient.

Last edited by B20F; May 30th, 2011 at 16:17.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote