Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'New' Volvo Owner!

Views : 943

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2011, 16:58   #1
andyf117

Default 'New' Volvo Owner!

Hi

After 20+ years of owning Citroens, I parted company from them last week following an 'annus horriblus' with a 2002 C5 2.0 Hpi Exclusive (off the road more than on it, and cost more in fixing it in a year than I paid for it).....

After searching (at the wife's insistence!) for a 'reliable' car - and Volvo immediately sprang to mind - I am now the proud owner of a 54-plate 2.0 Sport Lux with 69,000 miles on the clock. One previous (lady) keeper, full Volvo service history, and informed it has just had new Cam Belt kit....

So far, I've only driven it 30 miles home from the trader it was bought from, and made the five round trips the few miles to and from work this week - but am very impressed with what I've felt and seen. It's quiet (hardly hear the engine when sitting still), very comfortable, and picks up and goes well...

I do have a few questions, if anyone can answer them, please....

Firstly, which 'Series' have I got? I understand there was a change in 2004, and have tried comparing photos of 2003-04 models, but they look identical to me! Mine has Xenon headlights, headlight wipers and heated leather seats (was advertised as having Cruise Control, but hasn't)....

Secondly, when braking at speed, I feel some 'kicking' through the pedal, even though I'm not really braking hard - is this normal? On the C5 (and the preceding Xantia 2.0 Activa) the only times there was any feel from the ABS was under sudden or very hard braking (and the 'kick' was quite violent)....

Thirdly, I'd like to change the side/parking light and main beam bulbs to match the Xenon's white light - but it appears the 'pack' for the Xenon's is fitted over the access to them (ie. the inner of the twin headlights). Would I be able to change them myself, or do I need to take it to a dealer?

Thanks

Andy
andyf117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 19:18   #2
72dudes

Hi Andy,

Although I have had Volvos in the past, I also came to my current S40 from a C5 2.2Hdi - lovely car, fantastic ride, superb motorway cruiser, but when it started to have problems with various pressure sensors and switches related to the egr valve and particle filter, it was time to go.

Anyway, I reckon your kickback when braking is almost certainly warped brake discs. If you also feel vibration through the steering wheel, it will be front discs, if it's mainly through the pedal, the rear discs will be the culprits. Not hugely expensive to put right but you will need new pads at the same time.

As to what series you have, I'm normally quite hot on model variations but your headlamp wipers have thrown me. I'm actually wondering if you have the last of the previous shape "Mk1" S40, here's why:
- the Mk2 with xenon headlights had washers, not wipers, and I don't ever recall seeing a current shape S40 with headlamp wipers
- all Mk2 S40s (except the base S model) had cruise control as standard
- the "Sport Lux" variant you mention does not tally with a 2004/5 Mk2 model, which came in S and SE versions. Sport, Sport SE and SE Lux versions came later.
- the 2.0 petrol engine was not available in 2004/5. The Mk2 was launched with 1.8, 2.4 and T5 petrol engines or the 2.0d.

The more I think about it, the more I am sure you have the previous model
S40 which ran from 1996 to 2004.

As to changing the side lights to whiter ones, sorry, no idea!
72dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 19:41   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Although it hasnt been stated the feel of the writing is that is the original model S40 not the 2005 and later type which is still current today ..

In which case it is very difficult to change the front parking light bulbs ! It is a bit easier to take the headlamps out and remove the Ballast unit . You have to replace them with LED bulbs to prevent you having to do this job again , Having said that the front parking light standard bulbs do last a long time ..
Yes most citroens are trouble ! Clutches , electrics , suspension, brakes , heaters , gearboxes , engines . The best citroen is the C1 :-) and citroen parts are much more expensive than volvo for those who moan about the cost of volvo parts ..
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 21:19   #4
kebab10
Premier Member

Default New Volvo owner

I used to have a couple of Citroens, a GS and a ZX. I also found that when it went wrong, it was very expensive for parts. Found Peugeots just as expensive for parts also.
Best of luck with your "new" Volvo.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 16:47   #5
andyf117

Thanks, guys - guess I need to 'transfer' to the <04 sub-forum!
andyf117 is offline   Reply With Quote