Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 55003

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 299 38.78%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 445 57.72%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.71%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 8 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 771. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 18th, 2011, 20:09   #1
darbs
XC60 Owner

Default Spare Tyre Poll

since the presence of a spare tyre or not is a hot topic, thought i'd post a poll. maybe it's something which could be submitted to volvo as some free market research. feel free to vote and/ or add comments if you so wish.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 20:41   #2
stu0710
Master Member

A space saver is good enough for me. I don't think many cars could afford to accomodate a full size 18" or 20" spare in the boot I'm afraid. I also don't think that an externally mounted spare is particularly practical, as it's either got to be hung on the tailgate (requiring a side hinged door) or slung underneath as on a Discovery or RR which leaves it exposed to all the muck thrown up under the car. I also think that this spoils the rear of the Disco.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 20:43   #3
Makai73

I can't say what each new car should be fitted with, I think that choice should be offered by the manufacturer.

I've just got rid of 2 Discos, 1 had the wheel on the rear door as per normal and the other had a pair of side mounted spares for the rear door to be used as the roof on the 'porch' cum shower cubicle (expedition prepped)

It's horses for courses as they say, I'd just like the choice for £40k
Makai73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 20:46   #4
ExMercR
XC60 Owner

My view is that a space saver is absolutely adequate for the vast majority of cars. In fact tyre sealant is probably good enough. The cost and weight penalty of carrying a full size wheel for the very rare occasion when it is needed doesn't make sense in these days of maximising fuel economy.

However, for a car with the capability to go off road, such as the XC60, buyers should surely have the choice of a full size spare, space saver or tyre sealant - depending on the intended use of the vehicle.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 21:20   #5
Mrjon
Master Member

I tend to go to more remote places touring on my motorbike than the car, like the North coast of Scotland for example, but the bike obviously doesn't have a spare wheel I just rely on breakdown cover.
I've opted for a no cost space saver wheel on my XC60 as it makes more sense than a sealant and compressor , and I wouldn't use the space it takes up for anything else.
Mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 21:42   #6
irishcarfan
Master Member

I've had 2 flats this year already. 2008 had a proper blowout that no 'goo' in the world could fix! In Ireland, Peugeot are supplying all the new 508's with a full size spare stating that 'Irish roads are not ready for sealant' etc. The car in question (508) still has a competitive CO2 output of 114g/km using a 1.6 D and automated manual box. This 'wheel' issue alone has brought my father back to the Peugeot dealership for the first time in 30 years and now caused him to by-pass the Volvo one. As for me, if Volvo don't put in a wheel, I won't be buying a Volvo. Ever.

It's like Volvo putting in a 10 litre fuel tank to save weight saying that 'ah most people don't travel more than 50 miles at a time!' What if?!?!? Well what's next on the list? The back seat? Most cars only have 1 occupant.. etc.

Woo progress.
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to irishcarfan For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 23:01   #7
Ransman
Master Member

So option 1 has 40%, option 2 60%, and option 3 6.67%

That makes 106.67%.

That's interesting maths!
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 23:35   #8
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
So option 1 has 40%, option 2 60%, and option 3 6.67%

That makes 106.67%.

That's interesting maths!
if it doesn't sort itself out as the numbers go up, i'll report it to the admins.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 23:43   #9
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMercR View Post
.... buyers should surely have the choice of a full size spare, space saver or tyre sealant - depending on the intended use of the vehicle.
Fully agree, and would add that each individual has different reaction to risk, so we each may chose a different solution.

Considering the vast array of other options available on each new car, an option in this regard would not overcomplicate the buying experience.

Personally I would choose a full size spare every time. I do not get flat tyres very often, but when it happens it is usually very inconvenient. With a full size spare you can continue your journey and get the flat fixed at your convenience. The other options make fixing the tyre a priority.

For the present I am stuck with the space saver and am unwilling to spend the extra to change.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vecais For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 10:16   #10
844PHW
Master Member

I'm all for choice but the options have to be available. To me, spacesavers and inflators are lazy design decisions. The real design challenge is to provide accommodation for a fullsize sparewheel while also fulfilling as far as possible a raft of other design requirements.
If all-out minimum weight is such a major emissions/environmental issue, cars should be banned from carrying passengers and should have fuel tanks that hold a maximum of 10 litres! I could go on.

The reasons why having a full size sparewheel is important include:
- Punctures occur. (ok, any workable solution would do for that one)
- There is a good chance a puncture will be too severe to be patchable by an inflator kit.
- There is a good chance that a puncture will occur when tyre centres are not open and/or in a place far from any such centre. This makes a spacesaver sparewheel doubly inconvenient. In any case there is a risk that the centre will not have the required type of tyre in stock (quite a high risk with the XC60).
- Full size sparewheels minimise the inconvenience of a puncture. You just swap with the spare and drive off as normal, not at a silly and possibly dangerously slow speed.

Reviewing the above and identifying what is not stated shows that there are actually quite a lot of issues needed to give the matter definitive coverage. However, that will have to do for now.

I do have a fullsize spare wheel for my XC60. So far I have already had one puncture, with a terminally damaged tyre, and it occurred at night. I am satisfied that having a fullsize spare wheel is the correct arrangement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 844PHW For This Useful Post: