Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate (manual+overdrive)

Views : 4413

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 19:17   #1
Choc

Default 1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate (manual+overdrive)

In brief
Volvo, T&T. £500

In more detail
1989 Volvo 740 GLE Estate

2.3 litre k-jetronic engine with 4 speed manual 'box and very high geared overdrive. MoT was passed about 2 months ago and I think it was a bit early so about 11 months MoT left, tax until February. 171,000 miles. Stamped up service book, cambelt done about 20,000 miles ago. Towbar, leather seats, heated mirrors, electric windows, central locking, 7 seater version (although only 1 seatbelt in the rear). Proper Volvo moulded floormats. Other luxury features include a load bay cover, radio cassette player and a heater which is better than our S80.

This is more than 20 years old so it's ok for classic insurance. There's no catalytic converter or Lambda sensor so no faffing about with engine management. No ABS so nothing expensive to worry about there either.

Very comfortable for wafting along, motorways are brilliant because it's so high geared and it's really quiet upto 90mph, only a little wind noise when you go faster but it'll cruise at 100mph for hours if you want to cover the ground.

On motorways it does 38mpg at 70mph, 35mpg at "I'm sorry officer, I didn't realise" and 24mpg around town.

The fuel gauge doesn't work, I'm pretty sure it's the sender. Sunroof works but needs aligning so I just leave it shut. Heated seats don't but the heater is blowing warm air after a mile.

Since I bought it, it's had most of a new exhaust, oil and (Volvo) filter, plugs, distributor cap with rotor arm and that's about it.

Snow socks last winter meant it never got stuck

Car is in Bedfordshire, shout if you want any more details
Choc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Choc For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 20:27   #2
minesa240x3
loyalty

Very nice and not overselling from you,just a nice honest car that deserves to be reowned by another caring owner,
I would snatch your hand off if I didn't already have a 1990 740GLE myself.If yours is anything like mine then I just love driving it to the extreme as it flies and always brings a smile to my face.
If it was any cheaper I would buy it just for the wheels and tyres as mine aren't to good.Wheels are bashed and I'm sure one is buckled and the tyres are due changing as the MOT is next saturday.
Regards Brian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 740 GLE really nice shot resized..jpg (397.6 KB, 23 views)
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 22:40   #3
Dimpsy
Master Member

Lovely car!!

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Dimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 22:57   #4
DWM
VOC Member

PM sent.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 23:01   #5
s.hammond
VOC Member

probably the best of the 700 series

luxury motoring and 2.3 k-jet simple mechanics with displacement.
00 Peugeot 306 1.4i LX
s.hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 19:11   #6
Choc

A few more photos. Typical wheelarch, it's not going to get full marks at Pebble Beach concours, but nothing that needs attention really

Driver's seat. No rips where you park your bottom for maximum wafting comfort

Crease on the rear wing. Birdpoo will be cleaned off before sale, subject to negotiation

Crack on the rear end of indicator lens as I carefully swung the front end into a post Note the wheelarch, which matches nicely

Headliner is like this. A few little tears like this, but not sagging. The foam behind is good
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 06:23   #7
Choc

Washed the birdpoo off, parked up wi' ma homies waiting for da croooz. Or something....
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 22:13   #8
Choc

A few more photos, I need to get this sold soon, any questions please post here or PM me

Relax in the sumptuous luxury of tan leather

Or relax in the sumptuous luxury of the boot with its load cover

The 7 seater conversion was done later, so its carpet is grey

Rear seats up

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Choc For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 16:29   #9
Choc

Now sold
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Choc For This Useful Post: