Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Irish 240

Views : 882

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2011, 22:20   #1
aidanmac

Default Irish 240

I am thinking of selling my 93 Irish registered 240 SE and was wondering if anybody on here was interested?
Bearing in mind that it was €700 euro to import from Northern Ireland a few months ago and i just put a new Stereo and a set of Virgos on it I would need over €1600 to break even.
Spec as follows;

93 240 SE 2.0 Est (non abs)
72000 miles with all MOTs and Irish NCT to confirm. Origional
books and service book.Volvo history until last service which included complete engine clean out and timing belt.
5 Virgos with road legal tires plus set (5) of good 14 inch wheels and tires with volvo trims. full set of new ceramic fuses plus many spares.
Unmarked blue interior with new bluetooth stereo (2 origional stereos included)
bodywork in white generally good but a few minor scratches and dings consistent with age.

bad points
Lambda light on dash - car starts,stops and drives perfectly but a bit thirsty
rear bumper trim missing on one side
aerial missing
passenger side electric window stuck.

I can post photos if anybody is interested, car is based in Donegal in the north west corner of Ireland,
aidanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 06:19   #2
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default added value

Good luck with the sale.

I understand the position you are in.
It will be hard to ""break even"" as in fact the 700 euro transportion
costs has as such not added value to the car.

Regards, brodgar
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 14:22   #3
pblack87

Default Brodgar

Have to agree with Brodgar, building the cost of the import into the price of the car doesnt really add up, coming from N.I and spending lots of time in Donegal (have a house near Ardara) I know that we unfortunately don't have the same market for 240s over here As in England shame. good if you are buying but not if you are selling and trying to gain anything on what you paid for the car.
IMO/experience only a low mileage (<50k), absolutely mint 240 with a Years MOT/NCT, 12months tax & new tyres would go for anything over £1600/€1800 over here.

All said Aidan sounds like a great car which would take little work to be in really good shape, the likes of which are thin on the ground over here, I'd keep hold of her

All the best!
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 21:13   #4
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblack87 View Post
Have to agree with Brodgar, building the cost of the import into the price of the car doesnt really add up, coming from N.I and spending lots of time in Donegal (have a house near Ardara) I know that we unfortunately don't have the same market for 240s over here As in England shame. good if you are buying but not if you are selling and trying to gain anything on what you paid for the car.
IMO/experience only a low mileage (<50k), absolutely mint 240 with a Years MOT/NCT, 12months tax & new tyres would go for anything over £1600/€1800 over here.

All said Aidan sounds like a great car which would take little work to be in really good shape, the likes of which are thin on the ground over here, I'd keep hold of her

All the best!
It's such a shame you don't see many of them around. I have seen a white early 245 in Adare and a white 140 I imported my 240 and the man at the imports place let me import it VRT free He must of felt sorry for me because of the high motor tax. James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 12:21   #5
aidanmac

i agree that the price is too high for anybody in the UK. But these were pretty rare cars in ireland at the time because of the car tax around 600 per year in the 80s and 90s and anybody wanting one in ireland now is almost certainly looking at an import which would leave mine quite resonable. with the new regs here now 700 is the least they will charge to import any vehicle regarldless of age or condition.
aidanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aidanmac For This Useful Post: