Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air bag light

Views : 2808

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2011, 19:02   #11
andy_d
Premier Member

if the code reader can not pinpoint Which part of the SRS system is at fault then it probably wont reset it.

the error code will point to which airbag it is thats faulty (or suspect) or which seat belt pretensioner.
with the error code for which part you can then go investigate the part/wiring to/from.
otherwise, well there is
steering wheel airbag
passenger dash airbag
side airbag passenger seat
side airbag drivers seat
seatbelt passenger
seatbelt driver
passenger side air curtain
drives side air curtain,
impact sensor left upper + right upper
impact sensor center (under the center console)
impact sensor left/right B pillar.

and all the wires/connectors for all of those to work through.

does the "snap on" indicate Which part is failing or does it just Not talk to the whole srs system ?
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 19:15   #12
tt82
Forum Support Team

[QUOTE=andy_d;930793]
where abouts is mossley ? /QUOTE]

Its the back end of no where. I will refrain from posting the usual comments about the inhabitants of this town.

Hope you get your problem solved V40 apprentice

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 20:57   #13
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Is the Volvo SRS sytem the same as some other manufacturers? I know with Vauxhall that if the SRS light is on it disables the whole SRS system thus leaving you completely unprotected unless the problem is fixed and the system reset.

Think it is the same with ABS system and light too?

Further point to not with the proposed and likely changes to the M.O.T Regs effective from Jan 2012 then all vehicles with either SRS or ABS lights on will fail.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 22:00   #14
v70 apprentice

The snap on scanner says intermittent high capacitance on srs airbag.
I am reading it over the mechanics shoulder and he is doing it as a favour so I am not paying everytime he plugs it on but its a bit frustrating now and as has just been pointed out next years mot will fail as the light is on. If I have to go to the main stealer this will effectivlly right the car off as it will no doubt cost a mint !
I have got another mate looking at it with a different scan tool soon which he claims should look at the system in more depth than the snap on tool.
I really like this motor, and want to try and get another ticket on her next year so my plan was to get it sorted while its summer (allegedly)
Airbags are a good thing as I am only here now as a result of one working so I would like to sort this pref without taking it to dealers though I am not ruling that out.
Hey Mossley is ok. Plenty of worse places to live and the A 635 test track er sorry road out is superb.
v70 apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 22:11   #15
andy_d
Premier Member

6 airbags, with the possible issue
you need a scanner capable of reading the Volvo SRS system properly

VCT2000 or "dice" with vida/vadis <main dealers OR a very well appointed indie
autel eu702

are the ones im aware of that Can talk to the srs system properly for ALL cars
yours is a 1998 car

so
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
true a p1 and vol fcr, with a cheapo usb lead off fleabay , the ftdi drivers (free from ilexia, same place you'd get vol-fcr from) should do his,
where abouts is mossley ? incase your near me , i have vol-fcr/lead/laptop so should be able to reset it

get a Cheapo usb/odb lead off ebay, £10/£15
download the VOL-FCR Trial program from ilexia
download the ftdi drivers from there

if it works, either buy the full version of Vol-FCR and be able to do All the cars features or carry on with the free demo one.

Last edited by andy_d; Aug 16th, 2011 at 22:16.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 13:24   #16
v70 apprentice

Hi
My V40 went up to my local volvo garage last week (Rob at Trevor burgess)
They advised me that after much checking of the system the light still wont cancell indicating a fault still there. They advised the only component it could be was the sensor module itself. All the wiring metered through good and the airbag itself is ok.
I have just recieved a good second hand unit which I have yet to fit. I have been told that the new unit will need coding in to the ecu on the car before the light will go out and the system works properly. Is this good info as I will need to make another appointment with my dealers ?
v70 apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote