Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

help with S70 please

Views : 1731

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 23:03   #1
tractorman5720

Default help with S70 please

Some background info for starters - 1998 S70 2.5 20v SE, cut out in a queue on tuesday morning and refused to start again. AA was called and diagnosed that the cat had packed up and needed replacing. Got it towed home and ordered new cat. Luckily for my fiancée I pay the AA a small fortune each month but also unlucky as she has had to drive a somewhat hideous vauxhall for last 3 days( even being free doesn't make it nicer!).

Now for the frustrating bit - fitted new cat and the car still won't stay running. Will fire reluctantly but dies as soon as you take foot off. Checked plugs on off chance and found them to be very coked up. Changed these and still no change. Haynes manual keeps bouncing me from chapter to chapter and not telling me anything definitive.

Can anyone help me solve this as we liked the car up until this evening and would like to do so again.
tractorman5720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 23:15   #2
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

first question is how did the AA diagnos the cat as being faulty?
Secondly its best to get the codes read with Volvo software, it will save a lot of time and guesswork and probably money too lol.

Make sure you get the codes and post them here there are a lot of clever people here who will help with the diagnosis.

Oh and welcome to the forum

cheers

Simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 23:21   #3
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question cat

hi i dont know how the aa diagnosed the fault with out drilling and pressure testing the exhaust but he may be onto something,sotty plugs are a sign of an over rich mixture and this could cause the cat to fail,maybe theres a blockage along the exhaust if you fitted the new cat yourself could you temporally disconnect the exhaust from the back of the cat and try starting the engine for a minute see if it runs ok if very noisy,if it does then you will have a blockage in the exhaust to deal with along with getting the rich running sorted out,good luck.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 10:55   #4
tractorman5720

Thanks for the help so far. To answer a couple of questions - AA man diagnosed cat issue by holding hand over tailpipe and feeling little or no pressure. Cat appeared to be original and car has done near enough 170k miles so seemed plausible. Maybe its the back box that is u/s. I've been banned from touching it until a professional looks at it and have got a mobile guy with the diagnostics stuff coming first thing monday, so should have some fault codes from him. Better not be pricy as we're going on hols week monday!
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:20   #5
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorman5720 View Post
Thanks for the help so far. To answer a couple of questions - AA man diagnosed cat issue by holding hand over tailpipe and feeling little or no pressure. Cat appeared to be original and car has done near enough 170k miles so seemed plausible. Maybe its the back box that is u/s. I've been banned from touching it until a professional looks at it and have got a mobile guy with the diagnostics stuff coming first thing monday, so should have some fault codes from him. Better not be pricy as we're going on hols week monday!
Unless this mobile mechanic has the proper Volvo sofware to read your codes u will be waisting your money, on the other hand if he going to read your codes for free or not charge when he only manages to get a generic code thats fine
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:23   #6
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

The plugs will always "look" like they are running rich if you pull them out after trying to start the car.

Did the AA man actually give you the fault codes? Any OBD2 scanner can pull the engine codes from your car.

My thoughts would be - if the cat went then you would be getting fuel trim codes as the rear lambda sensor would be picking up the after effects. I would also expect a bad egg smell from a failed cat.

I would think it far more likely that it is a sensor that is CAUSING the fault. The cat may well have failed but they usually fail as a consequence of another fault.

I would buy/borrow/beg/steal an obd2 code reader to see the fault codes myself.

A quick way to rule out the MAF sensor would be to (while the engine is off) unplug the electrical connector and then start the engine. If it improves things from what they currently are then the MAF is at fault (but there could be other problems as well).

Other sensors are usually picked up on the fault codes (but not always).

The cam and crank sensors can fail causing poor running/non starting issues but not throw fault codes.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R

Last edited by acshortt5; Sep 24th, 2011 at 11:25.
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 19:01   #7
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Would the cat failing stop the car running? unless it was blocked.Have you checked any of the basics,spark,fuel.?
Sorry didn't read Andrews acshortt5 post first he may well be right.

Last edited by Toplights; Sep 24th, 2011 at 19:04.
Toplights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 22:12   #8
tyrefitter

Default s70

check that the silencer box baffles haven;t collapsed and are blocking the exhaust dis-connect exhaust after the cat and run car if it runs it could well be the box. I have come across this from time to time whilst working as a tyre/exhaust fitter and it does give similar symtoms to what you describe.
Trev.

Last edited by tyrefitter; Sep 24th, 2011 at 22:24.
tyrefitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 08:55   #9
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Sounds like the AA guy is a gimp!

There will be little to no pressure if the damn thing isn't running, my guess will be a fuel issue, check the fuel pump relay or check for power at the fuel pump

Then usual checks, spark, fuel compression....

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 14:23   #10
tractorman5720

Been back under the beast just now, undid the clamp at the back of the cat and it started. Ran for about 2 mins then cut out. Now reluctant to start again. Just have to wait and see what transpires in the morning.