Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230FD Problems :)

Views : 8311

Replies : 156

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2020, 23:49   #91
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo940GL View Post
Sorry if I ask dumb questions only dumb answer and good questions.

What should the readings be? And whether the ground is bad or not? From where does those two cables go from? From the ignition key and the other to the battery? How do I know if it’s a bad earth?
Bllue/red wire should go to coil +ve, red/white should go to coil -ve. Remove the coil mounting bolts, clean where the coil sits on the bodywork with sandpaper, wire brush or similar. Loosen the clamp on the coil body, clean the inside of the clamp and where it attaches to the coil body.

Refit the coil but don't tighten the bracket to body bolts yet, just fit them finger tight. Tighten the bolt on the coil clamp then tighten the two mounting bolts

Ensure the LT wires are on the correct terminals as above and that all connections are clean, bright and tight.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 12:10   #92
Volvo940GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Bllue/red wire should go to coil +ve, red/white should go to coil -ve. Remove the coil mounting bolts, clean where the coil sits on the bodywork with sandpaper, wire brush or similar. Loosen the clamp on the coil body, clean the inside of the clamp and where it attaches to the coil body.

Refit the coil but don't tighten the bracket to body bolts yet, just fit them finger tight. Tighten the bolt on the coil clamp then tighten the two mounting bolts

Ensure the LT wires are on the correct terminals as above and that all connections are clean, bright and tight.

I tried your solution. Cleaned mounting points, and coil, terminals, checked - and +
Still nothing. I gotta get my multimeter on these sensors
Volvo940GL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo940GL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 12:21   #93
Volvo940GL

Quote:
Coolant sensor - ~2500 Ohms +/- 10% ish at 20C WRT earth - two pins in the body of the sensor, each has a sensor between it and the body of the sensor, under #2-3 inlet tracts on the head

CPS either works or doesn't, if you're getting a steady stream of sparks from the king lead during cranking, the CPS is working.

TPS is a microswitch, it's either 0 Ohms or open circuit when the throttle is in the idle position. Note that incorrect adjustment will alter whether it's open or closed.

Lambda should vary between about 0.1V to about 0.9V when hot and idling WRT 0V

MAF, i need to know the Bosch number (probably starts 0 280....) from your MAF as various different MAFs were fitted, the output pins were different and so were some voltages.

Rough rule of thumb is about 2V+/- 10% WRT 0V on a steady idle rising smoothly as the revs and therefore airflow increases.

It can be different depending exactly on which MAF you have though, as can the output pins!
My MAF starts with 0280212016
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 13:05   #94
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I tried your solution. Cleaned mounting points, and coil, terminals, checked - and +
Still nothing. I gotta get my multimeter on these sensors
You checked the correct wires were going to the + and - terminals?

That's the correct MAF for your car, check the resistance between pins 2 and 3 on it, should be 2.5-4.0 Ohms. I'll double check the pins for checking the running voltage and let you know.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 13:06   #95
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Does the engine misfire from cold? If so, the Lambda is ruled out, for cold running at least.

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 13:09   #96
Volvo940GL

Quote:
Does the engine misfire from cold? If so, the Lambda is ruled out, for cold running at least.
It doesent misfire anymore, it runs better when it’s a cold start. When engine temperature rises it’s more rough idle and tachometer starts jumping, then all the lights in the dashboard is slightly lit, The Parkingbrake, brakefluid light, battery light is slightly lit, but is not actually an existing fault.

I checked correct cables for coil. I’ll check MAF now
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 13:22   #97
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It doesent misfire anymore, it runs better when it’s a cold start. When engine temperature rises it’s more rough idle and tachometer starts jumping, then all the lights in the dashboard is slightly lit, The Parkingbrake, brakefluid light, battery light is slightly lit, but is not actually an existing fault.

I checked correct cables for coil. I’ll check MAF now
DON'T TOUCH THE MAF!!!!!!!

You have an alternator fault which will cause rough running!

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 13:25   #98
Volvo940GL

Quote:
DON'T TOUCH THE MAF!!!!!!!

You have an alternator fault which will cause rough running!
Alternator fault you say. Hmm

Is the alternator itself faulty. Can it be fixed or do I need a new one?
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 13:31   #99
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Alternator fault you say. Hmm

Is the alternator itself faulty. Can it be fixed or do I need a new one?
It can probably be fixed but you need to check the earth strap from alternator to engine first. That would cause the symptom you're getting, as would a duff rectifier inside the alternator.

That's without any other faults that may come to light when it's stripped down so there may be other faults causing the symptoms, not limited to but including a worn or incorrect drive belt, incorrect tension on the belt and several others.

I'm a few thousand miles away and can not see exactly what it's doing, however the fact the charge warning light and the others that are linked to it when the alternator isn't charging are on, even dimly points to an alternator fault so it's not charging. Could explain the flat battery!

Also if the engine management ECU doesn't see the correct charging voltage, it will throw everything out of kilter and cause among other things, rough running, misfires and umpteen other possible problems!

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 13:38   #100
Volvo940GL

Quote:
It can probably be fixed but you need to check the earth strap from alternator to engine first. That would cause the symptom you're getting, as would a duff rectifier inside the alternator.

That's without any other faults that may come to light when it's stripped down so there may be other faults causing the symptoms, not limited to but including a worn or incorrect drive belt, incorrect tension on the belt and several others.

I'm a few thousand miles away and can not see exactly what it's doing, however the fact the charge warning light and the others that are linked to it when the alternator isn't charging are on, even dimly points to an alternator fault so it's not charging. Could explain the flat battery!

Also if the engine management ECU doesn't see the correct charging voltage, it will throw everything out of kilter and cause among other things, rough running, misfires and umpteen other possible problems!

This is getting more and more interesting
Yeah the lights is slightly dim.
The belt is new and I have always checked it. It’s right and tight. Not too tight. But cannot turn the alternator by hand. So I guess the belt is tight.

On higher rpm those lights in the dashboard fades slowly away. So it must be my alternator you say

I’ll check now
I haven a subwoofer aswell. That has gone into protection mode. Maybe because of loss of voltage. But hey. I’ll give this a try

Thanks

Tags
b230fd, faultcodes, help and advice, lean and rich, rough idle