Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed MOT on emissions

Views : 5102

Replies : 122

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 15:22   #91
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyron760 View Post
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I'm afraid you have the wrong type of belt fitted. Your picture shows an early square tooth belt on a late round tooth pulley. I recommend you replace with correct type soon.

Regards,
Tyron
Well spotted that man!

I should have spotted that but was looking at the timing marks! That could account for some movement/stretch in the wrong place as well, although not much. Might be enough though.....

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 15:50   #92
besidetheseaside

Bloody hell, can’t get much worse can it, two teeth out and wrong belt
Sat waiting for retest now, been out all day so not read the latest posts, not a lot I can do, fingers crossed again
besidetheseaside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to besidetheseaside For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 17:10   #93
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Fingers crossed! Hopefully the printouts from the govt website will make all the difference to how he tests it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 17:13   #94
besidetheseaside

Well it passed unfortunately he did not do a print out of the (BET ) emissions, poor guys were frazzled, 3 staff not turned in today, it was chaos. So all I have to worry about is getting the right belt fitted now I told the tester about the belt he said pop the car back in when I have got it sorted and he will check emissions for me again.

Many thanks to you guys for all this info, it has been a godsend. I will update the thread when I get the new belt sorted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to besidetheseaside For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 17:30   #95
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Great news! I'm glad the BET info was correct, i was sure it was but the government/VOSA have been known to change the rules in their favour with no prior warning!

Been hunting for a rounded tooth timing belt on fleabay for you, haven't found one yet!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 17:43   #96
besidetheseaside

I will contact the suppliers and tell him the belt is wrong, see what he has to say for himself.

Car is performing well so I will leave the one tooth two tooth out question until I change the belt for the correct one.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 18:27   #97
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Don't trust the marks on the pulley. ( vibration damper ) check TDC with a screwdriver trough the spark plug.
The dampers are prone to twist.

Who the hell did sell you a square belt for your car?

Good luck, you did find the fault, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 18:33   #98
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Many pattern parts makers don't know the changeover point and many sellers are listing the same belt from about 1980/82 when the 240 series got the B20 (latterly the B200) revised version of the engine (previously the 240 had a B21, 2.1 litre, usually carb fed) all the way through to 1998 when the 940 ceased production.

Finally found a "roundy-toothy" belt on fleabay for you :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ENGIN...0/113645753078

Took a while to find one that had a photo of the actual part, many were generic photos from the part manufacturer with no reference in the listing to whether it was square or rounded teeth.

Maybe i'm wrong and you aren't 2 teeth out now, maybe you moved it the right way, either way if you've got an MoT that's the main problem out of the way for now.

It is a bit of an urgent thing to change the belt for the right one though.

Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 19:03   #99
besidetheseaside

Thanks Dave, I have messaged the seller and await his reply on the belt. As you say main thing is I now have a new MOT and I can relax a bit. Need to order a CPS as well before that throws its hand in
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 21:13   #100
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Dave, further to the increase in my CO levels.

Pleased that besidetheseaside has passed the MOT. I didn’t know about round or square toothed belts but have always used OE. I suspect that the problem is more to do with the alignment of the timing marks than with the belt, although obviously the belt will need to be replaced with the correct one. I was once caught out when renewing an aux. belt when the supplied one was a little too short. It fitted but there was little adjustment available. I found the cause when I compared the writing on the replacement with that on the old belt.
Referring back to our conversation about the rise in CO after cleaning the PCV and associated pipework and throttle body and your suggestion that the PCV etc. is cleaned at each oil change. You later referred to checking the cambelt tension after 600 miles, (which I was aware of ) but you later alluded to checking the timing marks after the belt had bedded in. This made me check when I had last changed my cambelt. It was the same year that I had cleaned the PCV. I’m confident that the marks were correct then ( I had a mechanic neighbour double check them for me ) I will be checking those marks in the near future just in case. It may be a wise precaution to factor in a timing mark check occasionally as a matter of routine.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: