Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What a difference a new set of volvo plugs make

Views : 11353

Replies : 149

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2013, 12:41   #91
Percy topliss
I've Been Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberate View Post
forget spark plugs.......join us oil burners instead: )

And start replacing injectors at ten times the price instead !!
Percy topliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 13:01   #92
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy topliss View Post
OOOO you trouble stirrer!!!

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 13:23   #93
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Does to me I've used genuine volvo plugs in my cars including T5s and ive used bosch and NGK plugs, no difference whatsoever which is hardly surprising as the volvo plugs are doubtless made by bosch or NGK
That isn`t really the point of the discussion!

There must be countless owners of Volvo`s running different makes of plug they will all work as they have to work......BUT some work better than others.

There will be a difference when plugs are changed from one make to the other maybe not in get up and go performance but maybe mpg performance. Also engine performance will drop off gradually when a plugs working clearance has been exceeded but the driver will not notice a thing until he changes the plugs again. So if one has used Volvo plugs then puts an ordinary plug in you won`t notice much of a difference but if you had put new Volvo plugs in you would of done. We have all been there least of all myself it was the same with Motocraft plugs for Ford`s the proper plug was far better than the other makes as again it is the spec. of the plug. Look at it another way why would Ford or Volvo have there own spec. plug when there are numerous manufacturers out there producing them?

As said yes, other plugs work but the Volvo plug comes into it`s own when the engine has a problem and the ignition is the heart of the engine and must be treated as so.

The other plug will fail early due to it`s higher temp. and under extreme working pressure usage in a turbo, not quite so with the N/A versions.

You will not think it is the plugs playing up as you may of only changed them 8,000mls ago so then you move on to pulling ones hair out and trying to find the problem, may even result in spending more money on parts as error codes won`t be thrown up. In the end the plug is the only thing left so the owner gives in and fits the cheaper Volvo plug and all the problems go away.

It pays simply just to fit the correct plug in the first instance and you can forget them when an ignition problem arises.

Do google searches it is not just this forum that rants about Volvo plugs.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 18:17   #94
Percy topliss
I've Been Banned

I dont know how much you know about ignition systems but when infer that the volvo plug is the right plug and that for example a plug manufactured by say a world leader in the field such as NGK is somehow wrong despite being exactly the same spec as the volvo branded plug (which may well be made by NGK )makes me think perhaps there are some gaps in your knowledge of the subject

Remember volvo do not make plugs there supplied by someone such as NGK who provide them with a plug from their range that meets volvos requirements they don't have a dedicated production line churning out special volvo plugs!

Last edited by Percy topliss; Sep 28th, 2013 at 18:23.
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 18:35   #95
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
11 year old 1.9D S40 with 143K on the clock and I am still on the original injectors. And even if one fails, you can get good 2nd hand ones for£15-£20 each.........

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 18:47   #96
Percy topliss
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
11 year old 1.9D S40 with 143K on the clock and I am still on the original injectors. And even if one fails, you can get good 2nd hand ones for£15-£20 each.........

Perhaps i have been unlucky had a spate of failures at 100k
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 18:59   #97
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
I dont know how much you know about ignition systems but when infer that the volvo plug is the right plug and that for example a plug manufactured by say a world leader in the field such as NGK is somehow wrong despite being exactly the same spec as the volvo branded plug (which may well be made by NGK )makes me think perhaps there are some gaps in your knowledge of the subject

Remember volvo do not make plugs there supplied by someone such as NGK who provide them with a plug from their range that meets volvos requirements they don't have a dedicated production line churning out special volvo plugs!
Percy, it is you that is a sandwich short of a picnic!......please don`t ever question my ability with motors, i have actually been there for 46yrs.

I only post on what i am confident at.

Volvo plugs were made by NGK but are now made by Bosch and even have there emblem stamped on it ,there is no secret about that fact.

The secret fact is that these Volvo plugs are made by whoever Volvo choose to make there plugs at the spec. that they require, so although made by Bosch they are no longer under the control of Bosch so they cannot sell them as Bosch plugs because of copyright.........

Please dooooooo some searching before pushing that blasted button and give
us all a rest......
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 19:01   #98
Percy topliss
I've Been Banned

Smile

Then we will just agree to disagree and move on
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 20:37   #99
mechakev
Master Member

Don't you ever dare question that hahahaha!
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 21:43   #100
Percy topliss
I've Been Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechakev View Post
Don't you ever dare question that hahahaha!

LOL Old dogs and all that not worth getting into a row over, if he is happy thinking bosch set up a special production line to produce super duper volvo plugs then so be it, funny thing is bosch have not manufactured plugs since 1998 when they closed their factory in Mannheim and began buying in from champion, all bosch plugs are now bought in from the worlds largest producer and rebranded ... Just as bosch batteries are now made by varta ...and so it goes on however i don't have 46 years in the trade so what do i know?...........I was going to quote a well know dictum but i won't in the interests of forum harmony....LOL

Last edited by Percy topliss; Sep 28th, 2013 at 22:10.