Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Generation XC60

Views : 34965

Replies : 446

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2017, 21:18   #91
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

What you gave to realise is that Kev78 thinks that anything is better than Volvo, especially if it is German - I have never actually worked out why he posts on a Volvo forum given that all his views are totally negative about Volvo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 21:21   #92
nu11eaf
Premier Member

The suspension and road noise are also attrocious. Almost van like.

.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for that, road noise is really bad, worse than a transit van.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 22:06   #93
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
What you gave to realise is that Kev78 thinks that anything is better than Volvo, especially if it is German - I have never actually worked out why he posts on a Volvo forum given that all his views are totally negative about Volvo.
I own a Volvo you idiot.

Volvo could bring out a Flintstones car and you and Rory would be at the front of the queue with your Volvo hats and jackets. Saying this is the way forward.

Youre a unobjective fool who thinks everything Volvo is great when obviously crap compared to the competition.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 22:13   #94
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
A v6 makes a better noise and is more refined - but if economy and emissions matter a 4 pot may be better. Do you know the best selling 5 series? Or A6? I can give you a clue - they have 4 pots....

I haven't driven a new XC60 yet so can't comment on that. Did 300 miles in 2days in an XC90 T8 and didn't notice it was van like...

You can now get anX5 with a 4 cylinder. And a Range Rover sport. And Discovery. So Volvo led and others are following.

Chassis... VW Audi and connected companies use same platform in various lengths for multiple models. It's how to survive in a world where cost efficiencies matter. Saab should have used their brains and not change every panel when sharing with GM- they might still be here....

X3 3.0 litre - hard ride and hard plastics and a tad old fashioned. Have you tried to spec a 6 cylinder Macan for 50k? You can't even get a 4 pot with much kit, and it drives brilliantly but is cramped. F Pace is lovely - but the 6pot with spec is well over £55k. Easy to get to £60k. Drives fab but experience to date suggests that reliability may be an issue around the tech on board.

You should try them all and then make a decision - I have / am doing.

Company car orders boost the figures of 2.0d models. Thankfully BMW care enough about their private buyers to offer anything upto a m5.

I have no problems with BMW selling 2.5d X5's as long as there is still the option of 3.0d,4.0d, 5.0d and X5m.

I'd rather have a macan with cloth seats and window winders than a top spec xc60 for the same price.

I have no interest in premium cars with budget engines, electrics, build and suspension. Nice headlamps and a big cheap Chinese iPad in the dash doesn't fool me.

The only new Volvo I'd consider would be a v40 if I was in the market for a cheap car. Then I'd accept a cheap engine.

I drove the x3. Thought it was a great car but didn't like the look and options were expensive. Volvo was well spec'd and the waiting time was a lot shorter.

If I was ordering a smaller SUV again I'd get a GLC 350d coupe. Macan waiting list is too long.

I'm going the next size up when xc60 goes in 18 months.

Last edited by Kev78; Mar 8th, 2017 at 22:24.
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 22:20   #95
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
The suspension and road noise are also attrocious. Almost van like.

I can vouch for that, road noise is really bad, worse than a transit van.[/QUOTE]

It amazes me how the Volvo "fans/extremists" over look cheap components in such an expensive car.

You think they would be the ones who were most offended. No wonder Volvo think they can get away with cheapening the cars.

I remember how merc owners reacted when they lowered quality around 2005. They went mad and as a result mercs improved massively.
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 22:29   #96
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev78 View Post
I own a Volvo you idiot.

Volvo could bring out a Flintstones car and you and Rory would be at the front of the queue with your Volvo hats and jackets. Saying this is the way forward.

Youre a unobjective fool who thinks everything Volvo is great when obviously crap compared to the competition.
Ignorant also

At least you are constistent
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 22:39   #97
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Ignorant also

At least you are constistent
Please explain how anything I've said is wrong.

Your comments regarding anything German are consistently "ignorant".

Please, in your infinite Volvo wisdom explain how the xc90, s90, v90 and soon to be released XC60. Are worth anywhere near their ridiculous rrp's. When they have cheap engines and suspension, leaking Windows, infinite electrical gremlins and awful real world performance?

I don't care how many cars are sold to the fleet market. Should Volvo care about their loyal customers.

Just a quick glance at the xc90 section on here or swedespeed tells a sad story.

Are you really blind to the fact that these are cheap, substandard cars dressed as something much more expensive?

I've had many different cars from a Alfa to a Volvo in recent years. I think it's stupid to blindly stick to one brand. It leads to blinkered, biased, totally unobjective opinions. Sound familiar?
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 22:53   #98
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Company car orders boost the figures of 2.0d models. Thankfully BMW care enough about their private buyers to offer anything upto a m5.

I have no problems with BMW selling 2.5d X5's as long as there is still the option of 3.0d,4.0d, 5.0d and X5m.

I'd rather have a macan with cloth seats and window winders than a top spec xc60 for the same price.

I have no interest in premium cars with budget engines, electrics, build and suspension. Nice headlamps and a big cheap Chinese iPad in the dash doesn't fool me.

The only new Volvo I'd consider would be a v40 if I was in the market for a cheap car. Then I'd accept a cheap engine.

I drove the x3. Thought it was a great car but didn't like the look and options were expensive. Volvo was well spec'd and the waiting time was a lot shorter.

If I was ordering a smaller SUV again I'd get a GLC 350d coupe. Macan waiting list is too long.

I'm going the next size up when xc60 goes in 18 months.
BMW still trade on their tag line of the ultimate driving machine so offering performance models help. They also put a 3 cylinder diesel into a car over £30k ....

You seem to think because YOU want something then Volvo should offer it. They are a relatively small niche manufacturer that have to be careful they don't waste money on cars that don't add to the brand or the bottom line.

GLC has a real issue with the AWD on cars with conversion to RHD - sure you must have read it? I was all set on a 43 until that came out - real issue for owners.

Comments on Porsche are funny when contrasted with your comment on the reason you chose the XC60. I like the petrol 3.0 but it is small and very expensive and quite old fashioned inside. Also not sure I want the image.

As I said, we can all have opinions - it doesn't make yours right. I'll check out the new XC 60 and I may well order one at more than £45k list. I may not. I won't discount it on some weird whim about the number of cylinders.....
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isleaiw For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 22:57   #99
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Please explain how anything I've said is wrong.

Your comments regarding anything German are consistently "ignorant".

Please, in your infinite Volvo wisdom explain how the xc90, s90, v90 and soon to be released XC60. Are worth anywhere near their ridiculous rrp's. When they have cheap engines and suspension, leaking Windows, infinite electrical gremlins and awful real world performance?

I don't care how many cars are sold to the fleet market. Should Volvo care about their loyal customers.

Just a quick glance at the xc90 section on here or swedespeed tells a sad story.

Are you really blind to the fact that these are cheap, substandard cars dressed as something much more expensive?
S
I've had many different cars from a Alfa to a Volvo in recent years. I think it's stupid to blindly stick to one brand. It leads to blinkered, biased, totally unobjective opinions. Sound familiar?
A few people on the uk arm f30post rejecting cars (more than one on a couple of occasions - including M3s) and some very unhappy Merc owners on their forum - especially with 4matics. They must be cheap and substandard too. Don't even mention VAG owners hacked off with the emissions scandal.

As for being worth the RRP - what is? Dacia maybe....
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isleaiw For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2017, 23:12   #100
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
BMW still trade on their tag line of the ultimate driving machine so offering performance models help. They also put a 3 cylinder diesel into a car over £30k ....

You seem to think because YOU want something then Volvo should offer it. They are a relatively small niche manufacturer that have to be careful they don't waste money on cars that don't add to the brand or the bottom line.

GLC has a real issue with the AWD on cars with conversion to RHD - sure you must have read it? I was all set on a 43 until that came out - real issue for owners.

Comments on Porsche are funny when contrasted with your comment on the reason you chose the XC60. I like the petrol 3.0 but it is small and very expensive and quite old fashioned inside. Also not sure I want the image.

As I said, we can all have opinions - it doesn't make yours right. I'll check out the new XC 60 and I may well order one at more than £45k list. I may not. I won't discount it on some weird whim about the number of cylinders.....
I think that if Volvo cared about private buyers they would offer a range of engines. Like EVERY OTHER CAR MANUFACTURER.

They offer 1 diesel and 1 petrol in various states. In everything from a v40 to a Xc90. That is truly pathetic. It's too much for many potential v40 buyers and woefully inadequate for a Xc90. That is fact, not opinion.

Volvo obviously don't care about private buyers and want a bigger piece of the corporate market. The cars are designed to look good on car parks, but cost little in tax. Hence the ridiculously expensive optional stereos and wheels. All very "unvolvo" IMO.

The engines and suspension are unforgivable and inadequate for such expensive cars. As one v90 owner recently agreed on this thread.

My comment on the Porsche was meant to highlight the massive gulf between the 2 cars. They are not rivals in anyway, shape or form.

I chose the Xc60 because it is a well spec'd daily driver with 240bhp and AWD for the price, nothing come close at the time. I like the D5 too, it's much better than the new version. Although tbf the xc90 is heavier than my xc60. The new D5 also sounds really cheap at tick over.

The X3 3.0d is a much better car, but it's ugly and I've always liked the x5. It wasn't worth the extra or the wait.

I wasn't aware of the issue with the GLC coupe. I've seen a few around and I like them. Not looked in depth or at reviews as I want a bigger car next time round.

Last edited by Kev78; Mar 8th, 2017 at 23:22.
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote