Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 79959

Replies : 1406

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2024, 12:43   #991
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Some like me may be old enough to remember that there did used to be an additional 10% car purchase tax that you paid when you bought a new car, including all options, and in addition to VAT. This was reduced to 5% and then abolished in the economic downturn in the early 1990's. I remember seeing it on the invoice when I bought my Countach. Did I say Countach? Sorry I meant Citroen AX.

By ramping up the VED in the first few years on expensive new cars, they have re-introduced this by stealth.

Expect further significant intrusions into your wallet by HMG over the coming years as revenue from fuel duty falls off as more people use EV's. They will want to focus tax on ownership and use rather than purchase to save face with the industry heavyweights.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Mar 14th, 2024 at 12:47.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 14:25   #992
Whippy
Premier Member

Embrace pay per mile, it's coming.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 14:33   #993
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
In saying that, I do believe electric cars should pay road tax and it should be a fair amount... they shouldn't be free. ICE car owners are being screwed, whilst the electric crew whizz around paying nothing.
ICE car owners arent being screwed, only the vehicles who do legitimately produce lots of CO2. there are lots of ICE cars which pay zero or very little, so why should people who have decided to go electric be punished and pay a LOT more than most other ICE car tax at a rate of £180 per year, i am not saying paying zero, but £180 is a lot, and expecially applying it retrospectivly (on all electric cars already on the road, not just new cars registered on or after April 2025). I am sure many ICE owners would soon start grumbling if you were paying £0, £10, £30 etc and now have to pay £180.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 15:19   #994
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
ICE car owners arent being screwed, only the vehicles who do legitimately produce lots of CO2. there are lots of ICE cars which pay zero or very little, so why should people who have decided to go electric be punished and pay a LOT more than most other ICE car tax at a rate of £180 per year, i am not saying paying zero, but £180 is a lot, and expecially applying it retrospectivly (on all electric cars already on the road, not just new cars registered on or after April 2025). I am sure many ICE owners would soon start grumbling if you were paying £0, £10, £30 etc and now have to pay £180.
Yes, road tax is based on CO2 and those that own the most polluting pay more. For a start they high fuel prices for petrol and diesel. Electric owners don't have to put fuel in, they charge at home or at a public charge point. Even though public charges are expensive, its still a fraction of the cost of what a conventional ICE car would take at the pump to do the same journey. Depending on what tariff you've got, you can charge at home for as little as 8p per kw overnight. You can't get petrol or diesel for that price.

ICE car owners have been paying higher road tax for years, and, it has been increasing year on year. Electric cars have been free, many ICE owners have been paying anything from £35 per year up to £675 (depending on the car they've got). Some ICE cars are free, but they're few and far between in the scale of things. Hybrid's have been £10 per annum for a long time now.

So how are ICE vehicle owners not being screwed? Let's take my car for example... £365 per year to tax. Let's just do a 5 year example... In 5 years, it costs £1,825 just in road tax, then there's the fuel price on top of that. The electric car currently is zero? Where's the fairness in that? You pay £900, I pay £1,800... half the price. I still have to add fuel to that figure, which I guarantee is much higher than your electric costs.

Naturally, if you've been used to paying nothing for your electric car, then it will be a big jump... that I understand. It was only a matter of time before electric cars were charged to be on the road.

As you have no high fuel costs to pay like an ICE driver would, I don't think half price road tax is that bad of a deal. Electric cars themselves may not emit harmful pollutants, but they don't run on fresh air either. The electric has to be produced at power plants, which emit CO2. To produce the electric that charges your car, there's CO2 being produced. Even renewable energy isn't totally green. Electric cars don't run on fresh air.

Let's not forget that its highly likely that ICE vehicle tax will increase even more than it already is. Also, non-compliant cars in ULEZ zones have been paying a congestion charge and a ULEZ fee daily (if they drive in it). Electric cars have been free, so no ULEZ charge or congestion charge. Why no congestion charge for them to date... they still take up space on the road like an ICE car does? ULEZ compliant cars don't pay a ULEZ charge, but they still pay a congestion fee.

So there's another spanner to add to the mix. Not only is road tax higher on an ICE car, fuel also is and ulez charges (if non-compliant), plus congestion charges. Electric cars had zero charges... no road tax, no ulez fee and no congestion charge.

The train has ran out of steam. £180 is still cheap, considering what an ICE owner has had to pay!!!

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 14th, 2024 at 15:45.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 17:20   #995
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
ICE car owners arent being screwed, only the vehicles who do legitimately produce lots of CO2.
As the owner of 4.4L V8 you perhaps won't be surprised that I respectfully disagree.

In absolute terms, I cover *very* few miles in a year compared to the average and so directly contribute much less CO2 to the atmosphere than the average ICE driver and, quite probably, high(er) mileage EV driver. Yet I'm expected to pay over 700 GBP per year. That doesn't strike me as being particularly fair, if the point is to make those that do the most environmental damage pay the most.

And that's before we consider the emissions from building new vehicles as opposed to the continued use of one that's sixteen years old.

My view is that we've reached a point in time wherein there should be a flat rate for all vehicles over three years old and damage is paid for at the pump, or at the charger, reflecting actual environmental impact rather then theoretical relative harm.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 17:32   #996
Thekilt

I agree whole heartedly regarding a flat rate, that’s what I mentioned earlier in another post. What I am stating is it’s unfair when you purchase a car with £x tax, whether that be Kevs £365 or Moose’s £700 ah year. Now you find out next year Kev’s will be £500 and Moos’s will be £1000? How would you feel about that?
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 17:55   #997
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Yes, road tax is based on CO2 and those that own the most polluting pay more. For a start they high fuel prices for petrol and diesel. Electric owners don't have to put fuel in, they charge at home or at a public charge point. Even though public charges are expensive, its still a fraction of the cost of what a conventional ICE car would take at the pump to do the same journey. Depending on what tariff you've got, you can charge at home for as little as 8p per kw overnight. You can't get petrol or diesel for that price.
A gallon of diesel has around 46kW of energy. A typical home charge of our EV is around 42kWh for which we pay €16,80. I think if you were paying a comparible €18.40 per gallon then you could talk parity. You can't penalise EV drivers because a diesel engine is only 30% efficient at moving the car compared with 95% efficiency from an electric motor.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 18:21   #998
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
A gallon of diesel has around 46kW of energy. A typical home charge of our EV is around 42kWh for which we pay €16,80. I think if you were paying a comparible €18.40 per gallon then you could talk parity. You can't penalise EV drivers because a diesel engine is only 30% efficient at moving the car compared with 95% efficiency from an electric motor.
Misleading...

Yes a gallon of diesel has the equivalent of 46kw of energy in it.

Diesel engines in modern cars are north of 40% efficiency now, petrol being in the 30's.

Take electric. More electric is generated by Gas in the UK than any other method. The thermal efficiency of a Gas power station is circa 48%.

Then you have circa 6% loss accross the National Grid - so 45%.

Then you have the efficiency of the charging and discharge cycle of an EV which is accepted to be circa 77%.

So in terms of full cycle efficiency - fuel to miles - EV's are circa 34%.

Now before anyone else points it out, obviously the gas in a power station comes "off grid" and I haven't tried to account for the inefficiency of diesel beign moved by road - but the point is EVs, unless we have mostly renewables, are not the cleanest of machines that some would think....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Mar 14th, 2024 at 18:25.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 18:25   #999
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Misleading...

Yes a gallon of diesel has the equivalent of 46kw of energy in it.

Diesel engines in modern cars are north of 40% efficiency now, petrol being in the 30's.

Take electric. More electric is generated by Gas in the UK than any other method. The thermal efficiency of a Gas power station is circa 48%.

Then you have circa 6% loss accross the National Grid - so 45%.

Then you have the efficiency of the charging and discharge cycle of an EV which is accepted to be circa 77%.

So in terms of full cycle efficiency - fuel to miles - EV's are circa 34%.
That's misleading too. Gas is 55% efficient, grid loss is between 8-15%, charging loss is between 10 & 12% between the wall and the battery in the car.

As you are counting the transport from power station to the house you need to factor in the HGV fuel consumption taking the fuel from the refinery to the fuel station.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 18:29   #1000
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
That's misleading too. Gas is 55% efficient, grid loss is between 8-15%, charging loss is between 10 & 12% between the wall and the battery in the car.

As you are counting the transport from power station to the house you need to factor in the HGV fuel consumption taking the fuel from the refinery to the fuel station.
National Grid's statistics for Gas are 48% to 49% depending on what report you read. Your grid loss figure is higher than I thought.... charging loss may be 10-12% but there is a further loss on discharging, and losses in the motors and control electronics that give an overall plug to miles efficiency of 77%.

We could debate this all night, and likely neither of us would have the actual correct figures as of today, but the point stands up I think.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135