Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0D Throttle Body Cleaning Guide

Views : 80522

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2015, 19:10   #101
smig64

hi have done the TB cleaning today but it wasn't that bad to be honest so I shamffered the flap a touch and see how that goes
smig64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 20:14   #102
howardR

Smile Thank you so much for fab pictures & instructions!

followed these clear instructions today and it has sorted the problem with my v50 starting problem. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post this advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblues View Post
Morning All!

Right well after reading many posts on here and struggling to find a picture guide I thought I would lend a hand to anyone else who may want to DIY clean the throttle body rather than pay Volvo £50ish to clean it for you.

Disclaimer: This is a guide of how I did the throttle body clean and therefore take no responsibility if you undertake this work yourself.

Right so here is the engine with throttle body attached.

Here is the throttle body with everything still attached.

Remove the white data lead/cable on the left.

Then remove the Green data lead/cable on right.

Remove the black tube connected to the side of the plastic throttle body.

Here you can see two of the torx bolt holes. (I have removed the bolts so you can see better) There is an additional bolt underneath the throttle body.

Success! Throttle body removed.

The state of inside my throttle body when removed.

The other side. Yuck!

Right out came the carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. :-) Oh and an old rag/cloth. Then hey presto, all nice and clean again.

Hope this helps some people. Good Luck! :-)
howardR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2015, 17:20   #103
SettoTiger

I though i would add to this for those with broken teeth on the valve mechanism which cleaning wont fix! (this is a good fix). i used a Rotary tool for the job.

Here is a link on youtube that shows the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Vckn-9ZCA

attached is the pics of how to fix (like key cutting).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150418_133912.jpg (277.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg throttle 1.jpg (99.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg throttle 2.jpg (127.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg throttle 3.jpg (152.1 KB, 78 views)
Old Apr 27th, 2015, 10:33   #104
threedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblues View Post
Morning All!

Right well after reading many posts on here and struggling to find a picture guide I thought I would lend a hand to anyone else who may want to DIY clean the throttle body rather than pay Volvo £50ish to clean it for you.

Disclaimer: This is a guide of how I did the throttle body clean and therefore take no responsibility if you undertake this work yourself.

Right so here is the engine with throttle body attached.

Here is the throttle body with everything still attached.

Remove the white data lead/cable on the left.

Then remove the Green data lead/cable on right.

Remove the black tube connected to the side of the plastic throttle body.

Here you can see two of the torx bolt holes. (I have removed the bolts so you can see better) There is an additional bolt underneath the throttle body.

Success! Throttle body removed.

The state of inside my throttle body when removed.

The other side. Yuck!

Right out came the carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. :-) Oh and an old rag/cloth. Then hey presto, all nice and clean again.

Hope this helps some people. Good Luck! :-)
Many thanks for photos The problems we have been having with our V50d is lumpy running engine at 1200 rpm when cold, and worse is an intermittent loss of revs and power that could happen a few times a day or go for weks without an episode, the engine will just not rev and will sometimes go after several stabs on the accelerator or after after switching off a couple of times it does have the symptoms of something sticking ,, that brings me to the throttle body? excuse me for being a bit thick but what exactly does it do ? i asumed that revs would be controled by fuel supply or injectors? I did take ours out and cleaned it as best i could with WD40 {didnt have carb cleaner} what i would like to know is what is the flap controling what does it do when open and when closed? the only place i could get it to stick was in the closed position, and once cleaned it would take one hell of a force with my thumb to jam it in the closed position , when closed i noticed i very slight gap top and bottom of the flap that would presume a very slight oval shape to the body , and a very slight squeeze on the big hose end of the body would allow the flap to spring back to the open position ,,, I cant honestly see that there is any mechanism anywhere near powerfull enough to put enough force onto this flap to jam it into the closed position, so that brings my thought to the other end of the housing and the big jubilee clip, is the tightening of this clip distorting the housing and causing the flap to stick open or closed?? how tight should this hose be??? What i have done this morning is loosened the clip right off and just tightened it up untill the hose just starts to grip ie the hose does not wobble but i can still move the hose i will see if that makes any diference

Any advice on what this throttle housing and its flap does would be much appreciated many thanks
threedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 20:17   #105
ELO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumon View Post
I was going to attempt cleaning the throttle body on saturday, then I opened up the bonnet and found this;

It seems I have a double throttle?

How do I go about cleaning this? what do I do different to normal procedure?
I found this guide on Youtube of the throttle body clean and thought it might be useful on here. (I'm looking for a similar guide for cleaning the Inlet manifold... any pointers??)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFVy...st=WL&index=51

Last edited by ELO; Sep 17th, 2015 at 20:29.
ELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 11:22   #106
alfadave11

informative thread but unfortunately theres no throttle on a diesel motor
this valve is there to stop engine from running on after shut down and also where engine runs on consuming oil from sump due to failure of turbocharger.. and yes they can stick because of gunge
I would remove map sensor and clean that as this can have detrimental effect on running of car ..don't use a tooth brush on that
ps I wouldn't spray anything into airbox as you can contaminate MAF sensor and can cause allsorts of running problems that you would find in future
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 11:18   #107
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Angry

Morning all, I cleaned my throttle body and inlet mani on wednesday afternoon as most of you have. Took my car out yesterday and about a mile in I get this POWER SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT red triangle. See here (http://i.imgur.com/BWoaxDT.jpg).

Seems like a hell of a coincidence this would happen the day after I clean the throttle body. From reading around it seems it may be an alternator fault? Could cleaning the map sensor or the MAF sensor have caused this? Any other causes? I'm not the most knowledgeable but thought these two would not effect each other directly?
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 13:51   #108
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneilldom View Post
Morning all, I cleaned my throttle body and inlet mani on wednesday afternoon as most of you have. Took my car out yesterday and about a mile in I get this POWER SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT red triangle. See here (http://i.imgur.com/BWoaxDT.jpg).

Seems like a hell of a coincidence this would happen the day after I clean the throttle body. From reading around it seems it may be an alternator fault? Could cleaning the map sensor or the MAF sensor have caused this? Any other causes? I'm not the most knowledgeable but thought these two would not effect each other directly?
As battery light is on also then alternator does seem likely cause.
Get alternator output and battery tested
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:07   #109
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
As battery light is on also then alternator does seem likely cause.
Get alternator output and battery tested
Bungo, thanks for replying. Had the mechanic out this morning as it's just marooned in a layby, the alternator has gone and that was the cause. Just an unlucky coincidence!

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 22:40   #110
Dr Jekyll

Excellent guide. Going to tackle this on mine in the next few weeks.
Dr Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vaiotag