Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Slow is Slow??

Views : 6745

Replies : 173

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2024, 19:56   #101
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Oh dear, what have I done…..

Proposed offer accepted, and has said he will take down eBay ad, as of now it’s still live. Deal is for the car and all the parts / spares.

Pick up Saturday, and I will outline the nuts n bolts of deal once it’s all sorted, then you can all have a giggle😀

Now need to source a replacement gear lever to get rid of that abomination of a gear-lever😀😀. My Haynes is in the boot of the old Wentworth, any idea if the lever is a simple unscrew job, or will I need to scrabble about underneath??

Cheers
Steve
It's flagged as 'Ended' now Steve. Looks like a man of his word. I think that you may have snagged a bargain.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that the gear lever is detachable from within. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or otherwise.

Regards, John.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 21:19   #102
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that the gear lever is detachable from within. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm or otherwise.

Regards, John.
Grub screw (4mm allen key) to remove the pin that holds the lever to the linkage. Than from inside a circlip from under the gearlever boot
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 01:22   #103
SalvadorP
Master Member

This is exciting. A few days off the internet and it's like coming back to your favourite tv series and having a couple new episodes to watch.

I'm a bit lost though. Are we talking about the blue one with the weird shifter? I liked that one. How much did you offer Steve?

Last edited by SalvadorP; Feb 12th, 2024 at 01:25.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 02:42   #104
Forrest
VOC Member

I think we’ll find out after he picks it up next Saturday.

I know what you mean about some of the threads being like a TV series. I’m really looking forward to a project thread on this car.

It’s possible the weird gear knob will be an easy fix. From the eBay pictures it looks to me as though it might consist of a metal extension attached to the bare stem of the original. If this has been done in a sympathetic way it could be as simple as removing the extension and pushing a replacement knob onto the end. The problem being whether they are still obtainable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0250.jpeg (197.0 KB, 14 views)
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 07:42   #105
Steve 940
Premier Member

Spot on Forrest, as soon as we get everything tied up Saturday, I will expand further on the actual readies exchanged.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 09:31   #106
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I'm looking forward to it! With apologies to Alan ('Othen' of this parish) could we be looking at another GAM (Great Aunt Maud)?

Come on Steve, you must give your new acquisition a name! How, about 'Uncle Jake' as a nod to the Jakob, the first ever Volvo made? We could even have a competition to choose a name - suggestions on a postcard please, to .....

Regards, John.
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 10:21   #107
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi John,

Well the plan is to just use this 940 for a few weeks, trouble shoot any issues so I can get a ticket on it in June. Hopefully it will run for a few weeks😀😀

Then the focus is to finish all my house stuff, then get the workshop done.

At that point I can then bring Margo the 145 project home, and then I can start sorting out my Wentworth engine issues. A detailed thread on restoration of Margo is hopefully to be done.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 23:06   #108
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I think we’ll find out after he picks it up next Saturday.

I know what you mean about some of the threads being like a TV series. I’m really looking forward to a project thread on this car.

It’s possible the weird gear knob will be an easy fix. From the eBay pictures it looks to me as though it might consist of a metal extension attached to the bare stem of the original. If this has been done in a sympathetic way it could be as simple as removing the extension and pushing a replacement knob onto the end. The problem being whether they are still obtainable.
I read it wasn't possible to just change the knob on the 940 because the knob locks into a grrove on the metal shaft and it doesn't come off. (I guess you can always grind it out, but what a mess it would be)
Mine is desintegrating. I really need to change the knob or the shifter. But I realized it was a bit of an involved task so I've been putting it off. Also I haven't found a 5 gear shifter localy. I can only find 4+OD.

Is there a way to change just the knob?

btw, Steve, I don't mean to hijack your post. Just asking here because it's gonna be relevant to your new car too.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Feb 12th, 2024 at 23:15.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 23:35   #109
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi SalvadorP

No problem, and oh bugger, I thought stick shift lever would be a quick unscrew offending item and insert a proper lever.

Need to get a used lever somewhere, hopefully UK eBay supply is more plentiful than Portugal, although none on there at the moment,

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 23:52   #110
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi SalvadorP

No problem, and oh bugger, I thought stick shift lever would be a quick unscrew offending item and insert a proper lever.

Need to get a used lever somewhere, hopefully UK eBay supply is more plentiful than Portugal, although none on there at the moment,

Cheers
Steve
Here's a guide on how to do this job.
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=32886

It seems possible to just change the knob, but it's labour intensive. And like forrest said, that is if you can even find a knob! Skandix has the leather thing for about 75€, but knob is discontinued.

Does anyone know if the 960 knob/shifter m90 is the exact same as the 940?